I Forge Iron

What is the history of your Little Giant?

I just picked up two 50 pound power hammers one is a LITTLE GIANT  and the other one says THE MAYOR Excited to get these things going I was hoping I could learn the history on these, the little giant I can read the serial number its 4154 The other one I cannot find the serial number. Up until now I’ve been using a hammer an Annville and a hydraulic press, I am new to the power hammer game, I see some people referring to someone named Sid and that he may able to dig up the history with a nice email asking if he could do so. Excited to get my hands dirty. Any positive input is welcome, Thank you all

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The business has been passed on to a new owner; but they are still very helpful:

http://www.littlegianthammer.com/

Repair parts, materials, etc and if you have a serial number they can tell you about the original owner:

My 25# LG was sold Dec 28 1915 to a smith in Merino Colorado.

Also are you aware of the book: "The Little Giant PowerHammer, Rebuilding, History, Use", Richard R. Kern

And that is probably Mayer as the Mayer Brothers were in the original LG company and then later started another one under their name, (IIRC they made the Moloch powerhammer much like the LG). Chapter 11, History, of that book goes into details...

Welcome aboard Mike, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. Telling us in one post will be forgotten as soon as we open the nest post. Being in your header puts it on every post. 

Y 50lb. LG was delivered to LA Heavy Hardware January 1913. How and when it got to Alaska is anybody's guess. It spent about 20 years before I got it at Irbi Knives in Moose Pass Alaska. I bought it at Irwin Cambell's estate sale about 2007.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 7 months later...

Hello, I just became the proud owner of a 25 lb little Giant Trip hammer. The previous owner knows very little about it and I am very knew to them myself. I have many questions but would like to know more about it first. If can please tell me what year serial number 3492 is I would be grateful.

It is finished

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.

If you contact the current owners of the Little Giant Power Hammers;    http://www.littlegianthammer.com/

They can tell you when it was made and shipped.  They also have parts and information if you want/need to rebuild yours.  They are nice folks too!  (I strongly urge you to review their "helpful documents" section.

Also are you aware of the book: "The Little Giant PowerHammer, Rebuilding, History, Use", Richard R. Kern

• 1 year later...

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a  much better chance of hooking up with members living within visiting distance. 

Don't be surprised when the moderators edit your email address out of your post and drop you a note saying why.

Copy down the serial number and contact Little Giant Powerhammers at the above url.

Frosty The Lucky.

I just purchased a 50 pound little giant power hammer. How do I find out the history of it?

Ask it where has been all your life!!!  Don't worry about where it's been, just don't Date It!! Dancing is terrible when you are bouncing on one foot.

Enjoy it for what he/she is. De-rust it by using it as it was originally intended. Don't worry about what colour you paint it, as long as it has 'Flames' on it's sides from the tip of it's Horn to it's Tail!

Happy New Year!! Neil

• 5 months later...

Welcome from the Ozark mountains.

If you google Little Giant hammer it will give a section on the history and contact info. Sid sold the business to Roger Price in 2013 and I think retired but they are still in business under new ownership. Unfortunately we can't link to commercial sites.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

My 25# Lil Giant has a contemporary history that is very special to me. I worked "on call" for Francis Whitaker for about 5 years from about '83 to '88. He supplied lodging for my stay in Aspen. One time he picked me up in Woodland Park, Co and we headed to a masters workshop in Rowe NM(Russ Swiders shop). On the way he asked me if I would take a 25# lil giant in payment for my time. Sheesh, I'd of paid him for the first hand experience,, but hey, what could I say. At that time my headset was traditional smith with no power tools. It only took me a couple hundred miles to realize the offer and what it meant. I then made one of my best career decisions and said yup, you got a deal. 

This hammer had sat on the front porch of a welding shop in Aspen for decades and many smiths had tried unsuccessfully  to purchase it.

Whenever I use, or just walk by my hammer it brings up great memories of that very special time and Man.