I Forge Iron

What is the history of your Little Giant?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And there you have it. The earliest to the lastest hammer.

My only claim to fame is to the have the most photographed LG.  I currently own Sid's old shop hammer.  Until till Number 1 became his shop hammer. 

The hammer in reference was rebuilt in the early 90s by Sid and Fred C. then featured at every hammer school until 2009.  Figure 25 students in the hammer school and every photo that has been published of Sid running a hammer.  To say the least I have an iconic friend (Sid) and a neat hammer.

On a side note: I'd love to hear more of the Ausie hammer.

Dave from Diller

Do I have one of your old hammers, a 50lb that came from Minn that Danny Downs owned?

And there you have it. The earliest to the lastest hammer.

My only claim to fame is to the have the most photographed LG.  I currently own Sid's old shop hammer.  Until till Number 1 became his shop hammer. 

The hammer in reference was rebuilt in the early 90s by Sid and Fred C. then featured at every hammer school until 2009.  Figure 25 students in the hammer school and every photo that has been published of Sid running a hammer.  To say the least I have an iconic friend (Sid) and a neat hammer.

On a side note: I'd love to hear more of the Ausie hammer.

Dave from Diller

• 2 weeks later...

My 50# LG was loaded out of a junk yard in Wala Wala washington on may 10 1980. The cost was .10 per pound so it came to 168.00. On the way home I was overtaken by what I thought was a huge thunderstorm.

Mt St hellens had blown and the ash cloud was catching up to me.

Sid sold me some new dies this winter and told me where to look for numbers, but found none. I do know it is an early style and there is a date of 1/1/1900 stamped on the hammer just inside of the ways.

I work in Chino! That's awesome. I have a riveters forge and small anvil from there as well.

My 50# hammer was shipped new in 1911 to the Kasmer and Mastell Mine in Garrison North Dakota. It made its way to Cotton Wood Arizona, then to Flagstaff Az. and then to Tucson.

My 100# hammer shipped new in 1975 to Phelps Dodge, Hildalgo smelter in Animas New Mexico, then ended up at the Chino mine in Santa Rita New Mexico. I saved it before it went to scrap. Unfortunatly I wasn't able to save anything else out of the "Boiler" shop, which included a beautiful steam hammer, platten tables, hundreds of tongs, spring tools etc. The hammer is now safe in Tucson.

Heck the history of the Chino mine is pretty darn interesting as well:
From Wikipedia

"The huge open-pit mine was once the largest in the world, but has been surpassed by Chuquicamata, and is perhaps the oldest mining site still being used in the American southwest. Apaches, Spaniards, Mexicans, and Americans have all obtained native copper and copper ore from this site, once known as the Santa Rita mine, and in the 19th century, a tunnel mine. The present-day open-pit mining operation was begun in 1910. It is the third oldest open pit copper mine in the world after the Bingham Canyon Mine

and Chuquicamata."

Dan

This past weekend Sid and I took 3 Depue power hammers to Loup City Neb. I took the one I run with a old gas engine. This where they were made in the teens and 20's. the factory building is gone but we had the hammers on a trailer so we took a picture with Sid and I. Then we went to a spot they had for us to unload and show them off. We had a great time. pics to follow

• 2 weeks later...

my #50 was sold to Oklahoma City "Airport Maintanance Division" in 1964.  It was never used, just sat there, was moved to OKC salvage yard in the 80s.  I purchased it from the salvage yard.  All did was disassemble, clean, paint.  Everything is original, motor, switch etc....

post-15459-0-48468100-1371558272_thumb.j

my #50 was sold to Oklahoma City "Airport Maintanance Division" in 1964.  It was never used, just sat there, was moved to OKC salvage yard in the 80s.  I purchased it from the salvage yard.  All did was disassemble, clean, paint.  Everything is original, motor, switch etc....

Extreamly Nice Hammer, Matt!!!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/26/2013 at 10:21 PM, Steve McCarthy said:

Little Giant owners know that with a polite email and your hammers serial number, Sid can provide you with the sale date and original purchaser of your hammer.

So I'm new to this forum and I recently bought a 100 lb trip hammer and I was interested in the history. It's serial number is 441. I tried to email little giant hammer and haven't heard anything. If anyone can send me a link to info on where or who I could talk to to find out I would appreciate it. Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have a 50 lb. Little Giant, it is serial #950.  It shipped new in 1906 to one Kailson Baggentos of Grano, North Dakota.  Looking around a while ago, I found that the railroad was being built through the area in that time frame, so I thought perhaps it was put to use in one of their shops.  Or, maybe it just sharpened plows and stuff out there on the prairie.
It ended up in Oroville Washington decades ago, was used in a machine/ag welding shop for years, and upon the demise of that business was the subject of a small bidding war at auction in the 80's.  It went home with the man I got it from, in parts and was never set up while he owned it.  My friends and family passed the hat and bought it for my birthday in 2010.  I did a full rebuild, including a babbitt pour and fabbing new toggle links and knuckles, and now put it to good use in my knife shop!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

I was wondering if LG still did this, or if the email on their website was still the best way to contact them.  I emailed them about my #100 machine, P678 over a month ago and haven't heard anything back. My machine has a removable sow block, new style rear mounted clutch, and motor mount on the lower right side; but still has the wrap around ram guide.

Thanks IFI