I Forge Iron

Jaw insert material?

Justin Keller

A while ago I was given an old 6" mechanics vise that was pretty beat up.  One of the things wrong with it is that the jaw inserts are missing.  I'm planning on making my own, but I'm not sure what type of steel to use.  Any suggestions for something that will do the job and isn't really difficult to work with?  Also does anyone know what material the original jaws would have been or what the ideal material would be, in case I decide to get a machine shop to make me a set?

Thanks,

Justin

A while ago I was given an old 6" mechanics vise that was pretty beat up.  One of the things wrong with it is that the jaw inserts are missing.  I'm planning on making my own, but I'm not sure what type of steel to use.  Any suggestions for something that will do the job and isn't really difficult to work with?  Also does anyone know what material the original jaws would have been or what the ideal material would be, in case I decide to get a machine shop to make me a set?

Thanks,

Justin

What tools do you have ?   If you have a drill press this should be an easy task.   Commercial jaws have cross hatch texture machined into them.  IMO that is not a desirable feature for most of the work that blacksmiths do so I I either make overlay jaw covers form sheet metal, or replace them with mild steel inserts.  If you have a suitable size steel bar handy it is an easy job to cut,countersink and and drill the inserts .  I find that mild steel works well for me.  Mild steel would not likely be acceptable for a machine shop but for the kind of work we do should be OK.  

If it is a modern, name brand, vice you may be able to order a set.

lol brass would be my choice or copper depending on what its going to be  used on.  Make several interchangeable ones for different uses.  You don't want to mar a nice piece just to hold it.  Many of the ones I have seen have brass pieces instead of the steel ones.  Those hash marks have a tendency to mar stuff if your not careful. 

Just remember hardened steel jaws protect the vise from damage and keep the jaws from deforming so they grip evenly.  Brass copper or aluminum jaw covers are there to protect the work.  This is best practice biased on 100's of years of collective metal working experience.  Dismiss this at your own risk.   

mild steel is plenty good or whatever you have laying around. Make a few sets while your at it. Drill a few holes for heading rivets or holding special jobs. No need for hardened jaws in my opinion.

A picture of the vise would be good.

google image search for 'vise jaw inserts'

Depending on what you are doing with the vise, I'd certainly consider a set of micarta inserts and a set of brass inserts.  Both would have magnets inset into them so I didn't have to use screws.  Of course, this is only for finer work, like knifemaking, where I didn't have to torque down on it.

• 9 months later...