I Forge Iron

Public sculpture

Thanks guys, I have been working on this for over six months. It was announced as a request for proposal which means you go in with an idea instead of just your qualifications for the job. I am very excited to be able to build work so close to home, allowing me to really get involved with the community through education and demos. 

Its funny yesterday morning I was welding up a 20 year old wood chipper, the guy was so pleased I was paid $100 for less than 20 min. of my time. That afternoon they released that I was picked to build this $100,000 dollar sculpture. 

From busting a beautiful bead with an arc welder to a full on power point presentation in front of a city council, mayor and a company like AGCO. Its good to know that it doesn't matter what I'm doing if I show my passion and work hard I will be rewarded. I do love my work!

wow danger thats ace!!!! good work! very exciting project :) will look forward to seeing what you make.... also its lovely to hear someone say they love their job, i love mine too!

do you live in duluth then? thats where my hero bobby was from i think..

thats great news Michael, I must agree with you ......If you can convey your passion about the art then the battle  for a commission is nearly won.

PS I would love to steal that power point presentation of yours so I could get an idea how to present a proffessional proposal. lol

well done on getting another  big gig.

a

I guess I really shouldn't call it a job, more like getting paid to breath. I live about 20 min. from the site even though most of the work will be done in my shop. I am giving a presentation at city hall and hope to demo at their fall festival, not sure which hammer to take though, the 200 is mobile  B)  I would like to share some of the work I did for the presentation, but I will have to wait until after the presentation to post anything. I built a model from stainless and iron, again I photographed the model onsite to gain the perspective that it was the large sculpture. I really like this approach better than a digital mockup, it just has more life. 

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations on winning the commission Danger!

Looking forward to the outcome...

(Here's me delighted with myself after building an anvil stand lol.....I've a bit to go yet before I start talking about commission work. Ah well, Rome wasn't built in a day!!) 

Thanks, 

Interesting I gave my first public art proposal about 20 years ago, before I even had my first real shop. Part of my proposal was for the city to rent me the old fire station to use as my blacksmith shop. Probably would have been a different path entirely if I would have received that commission. One council person shot it down because I wanted it to rust as the finish, her suggestion was to build it out of stainless. Funny how things work out...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...