I Forge Iron

fire-pots cast from refractory cement

irnsrgn, the why is merely a question of alternatives to what I've seen. I would love to purchase a manufactured fire-pot, but I am interested in economical alternatives. I thought perhaps a refractory cement casting, or a refractory brick constructed fire-pot might be a viable alternative. Any thoughts on this? I have a brake drum from a large tractor, but I was really curious about the other possibilities.:confused:

Refractories have a tendency to crack from the temp swings in a forge; clinker will stick to it as well and need to be chipped off often a resulting in damage to the surface. Most folks weld up mild steel into firepots if they can't find a cast iron one. Firepots are a consumable in a forge.

For my travel coal/charcoal forge my firepot is part of the axle cover from a 1937 banjo rear end---bought two made into jackstands and have been using the first one for 20 years now---have the second one as backup for when it wears out. (btw this is the forge I do most of my billet welding in...)

I used a brake drum for a while. I got tired of watering to control the size of the fire. I fabricated a firepot out of 1/4" steel. It lasted about a year. I used a mud(fire clay,cement,sand) to form a funnel shape inside the brake drum. I've been using it this way for a couple of years. I have no complaints when I think about the price of a store bought firepot.

My forge has a shallow fire pot. I wanted a deeper fire. I set fire brick up around the pot like this [ ] with the air grate in the center. Using refractory cement I made a "duck's nest" going from the grate up to the sides of the fire brick for a depth of ~5 inches deep at the bricks. Then I made a fire and "fired" the refractory cement to harden it. Yes it cracked as it cured/hardened. I mixed up more refractory cement and filled the cracks and "re-fired" it.

This refractory "duck's nest" or fire pot has lasted 5 years. It is now time for me to re-do the nest but I only used about 1/3 bag originally and saved the rest. The next few rebuilds are free and easy.

Good luck

DanL

I'm using a side blast, so I don't need a fire pot. I have a big tub of fines and ash, about 2' square and 1' deep. The bottom is lined with soft fire brick. I just shape the firepot I want out of the ash and water it down a bit so it stays put. Then forge in the middle of it all. Seems to work well.

I made a fire pot from 1/4inch diamond plate steel, but I have no desire to frequently rebuild it so I built a water jacket underneath the fire pot and forge. The water jacket is 17" wide, 6" deep and extends for 36" with the last 6" going past the back of the forge. On the 6" that extends past the back, it is open on top and extends an extra 6" up, making a total of 12" in depth for the last 6". There is enough volume to use the forge all day and just top the water off the next day when I start again. I have been using this forge as a primary means of heat in a fulltime blacksmithing business for a year now without trouble. I had priced firepots, and it seemed like this design would be cheaper than a cast fire pot and easily fixable by myself. As a bonus it is an excellent humidifier for the shop in the winter.

Great information! I have much to consider now. I have neither the tools, nor the skill to weld up my own firepot, but I may have it done at a local fab shop.

I had wondered about the firing of the refractory cement, and thought it might be a problem to control the temp to give it a slow enough rise. Thanks everyone, for the great feedback.

I made a fire pot from 1/4inch diamond plate steel, but I have no desire to frequently rebuild it so I built a water jacket underneath the fire pot and forge. The water jacket is 17" wide, 6" deep and extends for 36" with the last 6" going past the back of the forge. On the 6" that extends past the back, it is open on top and extends an extra 6" up, making a total of 12" in depth for the last 6". There is enough volume to use the forge all day and just top the water off the next day when I start again. I have been using this forge as a primary means of heat in a fulltime blacksmithing business for a year now without trouble. I had priced firepots, and it seemed like this design would be cheaper than a cast fire pot and easily fixable by myself. As a bonus it is an excellent humidifier for the shop in the winter.

Hey Alwin... I'm not sure what you mean by a water jacket, is this basically a large tub of water that the firepot sits in to keep it cool on the outside while the forge is burning on the inside?

Thanks,
Lt

It is like the water cooled side blast forges. The fire pot and the table around the firepot are cooled by being in constant contact with water that circulates underneath. You just have to keep the water level above the level of the forge table top, which is why you make the water tub to hold a large volume of water.

I fashioned a wooden fire pot....let me finish!! which I had cast in cast iron. The cost was surprisingly affordable even for me. That was in about 1995 and it's still going strong. When you do it this way you have the opportunity to stick on your initials or a logo or something. This really impresses the beginners and they think you're some sort of God-like smith. Gee... a personalised fire pot! What a pity the accolade doesn't fit the reality.

There is no ideal forge much less an ideal firepot. I currently own 5 forges and each is ideal for certain tasks and terrible for others and I still have been known to dig a trench forge in the yard when I have a task that that is ideal for.

I think that you will find that heating RR rail up in a forge designed for knifemaking will be less than ideal and heating a knife up in a forge designed for heating RR rail will also be lacking.

So start by saying "This is what I plan to use it for; what is a good dimension for working with that?"

Sound advice Mr. Powers, thank you. My initial projects will probably be fairly small in size as I practice the various skills, and techniques, that I pick up. I will keep future projects in mind, but as you say, I can build forges to specific purposes.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my inquiries, I truly appreciate it.

John