• 1 month later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Glenn, December 19, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Glenn, December 19, 2013 - No reason given

I am new to this forum. I have been looking online to find a Hofi Hammer? Do you have info on where I can purchase one?

Thank you for your help in advance!

• 1 month later...

Big Blue hammers sells Hofi hammers from 2 to 4 lbs

No they do not.  Big Blu has no contract with Hofi, IFI is the North American distributor for all Hofi products, Anyone can sell hammers, etc. in any shape they want, but the name is owned by Uri Hofi. Others in North America using his name are either reselling a used item,  or selling Hofi styled products without paying Hofi his royalties.

I have to chime in here: Hofi hammers are well made and will give you a tool to forge with. By the same token there are so many other hammers that will allow you to move metal. A lot depends on wot you like and how you use it. A lot also depends on the hammer being suited to you and your needs. A hammer and all of its parts are designed as dies to form metal. Learning to use a hammer, almost any forging hammer may well be more important than the hammer itself. Your body mechanics need honing to be able to repeat the strikes that are consistant and move metal in the way you need.

If you choose the correct weight and style and learn to use it well it will do just that. A hofi hammer may be just wot you need. A store bought hammer modified may also. Any of several brands of farriers rounding hammers may also.

My point is this:  Learn to forge and spend a LOT of time doing so. then if you have a desire to try a different tool you will know if you have upgraded you abilities with the purchase. I encourage you to see as many folks as you can find and watch them forge...see wot tools they use and ask for comments.

I have many hammers...my own, and those of others and store boughts both cheap and pricey. I for sure have my favorites. And I have to admit that may be just due to past memories more than wot I can do with them. When I put steel in forge I pick the hammer I will use based on wot I wish to do to the steel, and that is tied to the shape of the part of the hammer I will use. The rest is up to me.

If none of this makes sense to you then you may be early into learning to forge and that to me says wait and upgrade later Use wot you have and see wot it will do.

I myself am looking for a good hammer to start with. I have all kinds of hammers however when I went to buy a couple of hammers I got the yellow handle hammer and its two pound wooden hammer cousin to start with.  I would like to buy a good hammer such as a cross peen hammer that will do the majority of my work.  I am old enough now to know that you get what you pay for and  dont mind paying fair prices for quality products.  I cannot find anyone within a decent drive of me to mentor me so I have to find out the long and hard way of doing it myself. 

I knew that if I bought a Hofi hammer that I would be getting a good hammer of good quality and from a great craftsman. it will be ready to use upon receiving it.  As a commercial fisherman I support those that support me and have done very well with that mind set.  I have learned more from this website in regards to working metal than anywhere else. This site has shortened my learning curve and I don't mind supporting those that take the time to produce and sell good products and provide good information.  

Netman then you will know wot I mean when you read wot I posted: You may be able to buy a great net from a long standing company that will do exactly wot it was desighed and crafted for. And if that purpose is exactly wot you intend you are all set. If however you already know exactly wot you are lookinf for it will be an easy purchase. How a hammer head is shaped, its weight, the size, shape and length of the handle all affect how it works in use. Buy wot you wish and enjoy!

we do have members not too far from you.  not that I can volenteer Ptree but he is one example of a smith not to far away, I am sure he could point you to a local group of the Indiana Blacksmith Assoc, if not try these for a start

Jennings County Historical Society Blacksmith Shop (Jennings County)

Meetings of the Jennings County Historical Society Blacksmith Shop are held on the second Saturday of the month starting at 9 a.m. in downtown Vernon. For more information contact Ray Sease at (812) 522-7722.

Whitewater Valley Blacksmiths (Franklin County)

Meetings of the Whitewater Valley Blacksmiths are held on the second Saturday of the month starting at 4:00 p.m. They meet at the home of Jimmy Dean. The address is 3104 Seeley Road Cedar Grove, IN 47016. For more info call Keith Hicks at (765)914-6584.

Southern:

The Southern Indiana Meteorite Mashers (Orange County)

Forgemaster Billy Merritt (812)338-2876, Treasurer Steve King (812)797-0059, Secretary Shawn Gilley(812)-486- 9113

Bumkum Valley Metal Workers (Daviess County)

The Bunkum Valley Metal Workers meet the first Saturday of the month. Forgemaster Doug Neukam (812) 259-4430. Treasurer Steve Stoll (812)486-9668. Secretary Shawn Gilley (812) 486-9113.

Thanks for the info Steve. I contacted Ptree several months back however we were never able to get together.  I will get with the groups closer to me and make arrangements to meet up with them.  I know that if I can get with a group I could narrow my tool choices down to what I need or can use. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Glenn -

I am new to the site and new to blacksmithing, but the Hofi hammer has been highly recommended to me, too! Can you forward me information about obtaining one!

Thanks!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...