I Forge Iron

Superquench question?

Mr. Powers,

Just wrote  and I quote,

"(I suspect brown pop was involved....)" 

Beer is just too expensive a quenchant for the anvil.

SLAG suggests that another quenchant be used and the beer used by the 'Quenchees'.

T.P. thanks for the McRaven reference.

I shall check the book stat, as soon as I locate it in the stack,  chez nous.

Frosty, quenching the anvil,  in Lake Jake,  would still benefit from some vigorous agitation. Suspending the anvil by a cable would work,  methinks.

SLAG.

Alas,  there is no Lake Jake within at least one hundred miles of St. Louis.

I do not know about St. Louis; but around most places I have lived *anything* not associated with a call out but done by a subset of the VFD is often moderated by beer.  Involving the VFD when you want to do something with *FIRE* usually makes it more fun. (Especially when a neighbor threatens to call the Fire Department and the Chief turns around and say "Yes?"...)

I agree Slag, trying to quench an anvil IN Lake Jake would be problematical and isn't on my radar. I'd use the lake for a supply of clean COLD water to pump onto the anvil face from above. A 2" trash pump will move 150-200 GPM. in a solid stream. The other name for trash pump is centrifugal transfer pump.

A water fall might be a good option.

Frosty The Lucky.

Senor Thomas,

Thank you for the heads up. It is appreciated. (no kidding).

I am a recent immigrant to these United States and a "permanent resident" here. and also to Saint Louis.

I slid under the radar.

I have not had any interaction with the St. Louis Fire Department yet.

(I gave up arson as a career several decades ago.)

Should the Good Burgers of said aforementioned department show up, here,  there  are several cases of beer, and popcorn that they are most welcome to enjoy.

Indeed, if given enough advanced notice,  Marg and I  (SLAG), will have the occasion catered).

Senor Frosty,

I did not know that a trash pump is a centrifugal transfer pump.

Thanks.

Regards to all the iron bangers on this site.

SLAG.

p.s.  Beer makes for a marvelous lubricant.

Slag: I thought Id made a bad assumption when I thought about it a little. Trash pump is sort of a vernacular term coined by folk who use the things. You can find it as a search term and expected you would've looked it up but we're talking to the whole planet so I clarified. 

Beer is a very effective lubricant it can almost completely eliminate friction in a person's knees. I've personally learned it can reduce all joint friction making flat the only posture possible! 

Mmmmmmm. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'll say hangovers are a negative aspect, if I let any part hang over all of me I slid off too! I'm not about to talk about my GADZOOKS on a public forum! :ph34r:

Hey wait a minute indeed! What kind of Canadian hasn't practiced beer arthrodefrictionization? . . . Eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

Beer Makes You Smarter
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and the weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular culling of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.

Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kill’s brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Mr. Dragon,

I beg to differ.

Brain cells are not killed by alcohol. Ethanol essentially anesthetizes them.

They recover after the alcohol effect wears off.

That  phenomenon  was disclosed, in the science press, about 10 or 15 years ago.

So the brain cell death idea,  is a commonly held belief that is incorrect.

SLAG.

Oh many a peer of England brews    
Livelier liquor than the Muse,    
And malt does more than Milton can    
To justify God's ways to man.    
Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink    
For fellows whom it hurts to think:    
Look into the pewter pot    
To see the world as the world's not.    

The book quotes just the “Mithridates, he died old” line. When the BBC adapted it for radio in the ‘80s, they included the preceding couple of lines, presumably on the assumption that a less broadly educated audience wouldn’t understand the allusion without additional context. 

• 3 months later...

Hey now beer only inhibits the false layers of the psyche such as the identity and the ego. Means the id or natural person comes out, if you do dumb things without your ego you just learned not to act as dumb.

Now as for bad reaction time from being drunk with hot working is asking for it.