I Forge Iron

my first post on IFI will be about my anvil...

Long time lurker and finally signed in.  I live in So Indiana and have been asking around and scouring craigslist for a anvil. I have asked a whole lot of people about finding a anvil. As it turns out a guy I work with had two anvils sitting in his barn. I spoke to him about his anvils and finally got him to sell me one. I had yet to see the anvil however he said it was really big. He informed me the anvil was a Peter Wright and had the numbers 336 stamped on it. Well I did the math and found the anvil weighs 426 pounds. I bought it today after going and looking at it. Jeez its a whopper and now its mine. It had been a anvil at a farm implement shop in Evansville,In. My co worker bought it he thinks about 15-20 yrs ago. I am a very happy.

The anvil had been painted blue no telling how many years ago. I would like to shine her up a little. I am looking for some anvil restoration tips and pointers. I am building my forge right now too.

I am hoping to be up and running in the near future. I will post up a pic or two in the next day or so.

Thanks in advance

Netman

I hosed my 200 year old anvil down with Gibbs Brand lubricant and people said it looked pretty good. It was a rusty pile when I got it but it does look a million times better....at least until I build a forge and actually use it :)

LOVE THE GIBBS!!!

Wire cup brush with wd40 till it's how you like it.... - Messy

Minerals spirits to clean the beastly residue..... Then Flame Proof VHT clear....

:D

Put a crimped wire brush wheel on an angle grinder and go to town for the next few hours.  My 305 pound anvil took me about six hours to completely clean up, an anvil your size could take longer depending on how tough that paint is.  A crimped wire wheel will leave you with that "black steel" look, a twisted or knotted wire wheel will likely give you that gray blue look.  Wear a mask when you do this, rust and old paint being ground off isn't too friendly to the lungs.  Once your done you could repaint it if you like, I just give mine a good coating of linseed oil which protects but doesn't hide the metal.  Don't put a coating on the top however, as it will burn off with use and that could make for some nasty fumes.  Enjoy your new anvil, it sounds like you got a good one!

If you had the choice between prettying up your anvil and building a forge---put the time into the forge!

Also: very few anvils actually need the faces ground or welded on and very many anvils have been seriously damaged by people doing so without knowing the details on how to work on an anvil.

Pounding hot iron on an anvil face will remove rust and polish out pitting so the sooner you start the sooner that face will start to *gleam*!

Thanks for replys.  I got the anvil home today and upon looking at it I am going to rethink the paint removal. I may remove the paint later.  My dad who has the steel for the fire pot is out of town for a couple more days. Once he gets back I will get the plasma cutter out and get to work. I got a couple hundred pounds of coal ready to go just need the forge up and running. I got with Ptree by pm and hope to get over his way this weekend for a watch and learn session.  Right now I need some tongs however I am going to wait and build them. I have a pretty good stock of flat bar.

Again thanks for the responses.

Netman

Welcome aboard Netman, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header you might be pleasantly surprised to discover how many characters on IFI live within visiting distance.

I toss my two bits to leave the paint and polish the face with hot iron and hammers.

Frosty The Lucky.

You're asking him to go try to put dings in his new anvil?? :blink:   ( B) )

I would like to know if it does at all dent. I have a smaller 50lb anvil and a much larger one, the small one does not dent and the large one dents fairly easily in incomparason.

WD 40 is flammable and to use it with a electric wire brush is dangerous,.

In spite of the risk, there's no other shine quite like it!...... ;)

Forgive me Rich, you're not the only one who has to put up with Macbruceter the wiseaker on my B'day...... :lol:

post-15096-0-36920500-1357063921_thumb.j