I Forge Iron

teaching others to Hammer

OK, I think it is partly nomenclature. I have always called the technique of hitting the work half on and half off the anvil to form a shoulder on the bottom of the work "half hammer faced blows." I have never known a specific name for the technique of holding the point of the work at the far edge of the anvil so that the hammer, which is angled to the face, doesn't hit the face and rebound before imacting the work if it is overlapping the end of the work.

I assume that the hex at the head end is "just for nice."

I have learned from experience to carry part of the flat side of the tool up into the "handle" portion all the way to the head. If I don't I have a harder time lining up the working end. The tactile sensation on the flats seems to be more accurate than the visual alignment.

I see Alec is one of the smiths who tap the anvil before hitting or between blows as we have discussed on another thread.

I still don't know where a die would come into the process unless you were using it to make a hex body.

Thanks,
George M.

George, you are using dies every single time you forge. Your hammer has a flat die and several sharper dies. Your anvil is full of dies.

I suggest you run a search on some of Brian's posts. They are chock full of uselfull information. You are certain to learn a new way of thinking about what you are doing.

I found it useful to video the person learning then have them video you swinging the hammer correctly, its hard for someone to see what they are doing wrong, but can often see it when shown from a distance in a vid, and then have reference to watching you hammering correctly. Also is applicable for the correct stance when at the anvil, most I find either have a stiff legged stance or are over reaching

Dear Thingmaker,

Again, it is probably a semantic issue. I have always thought of a die as a specialized tool that forms the work in ways that direct blows cannot, e.g. fullers, particularly those which have a specialized shape for forming, say, a leaf or a decorative shape, or even a swage block shape.

You appear to have a broader definition of die as anything that deforms the work in any way. If I am correct in interpreting your definintion of a die them I can see that making a punch or drift uses two dies, the hammer and the anvil. I am having a problem seeing how any specialized die would be used and that may be my problem, too narrow a definition.

Communicatively,
George M.

Regarding the above video, I just cant resist it, but but but he's not wearing PPE, or gloves or apron etc etc etc and did you see how he tapped the anvil with his hammer while he was turning the job and talking, he's he's he's he's wasting his energy!
Seriously though very good footage of someone who knows what they are doing, taken from a good angle, showing very well the whole arm, wrist shoulder flowing through action. Working the steel methodically using the anvil and hammer to move the metal where he wanted it to go to.

Very good

george m, I do refer to my hammer and anvil as dies. Just like with a power hammer, you choose what top and bottom dies you want to put in. When I use a striker, I also choose the dies that I want to work with. I can change dies very quickly with my hammer and anvil, and I try and clearly communicate the dies or surfaces I am employing.
Thank you, Thingmaker, for helping me to explain.

I found it useful to video the person learning then have them video you swinging the hammer correctly, its hard for someone to see what they are doing wrong, but can often see it when shown from a distance in a vid, and then have reference to watching you hammering correctly. Also is applicable for the correct stance when at the anvil, most I find either have a stiff legged stance or are over reaching

Interesting idea. I was big into pool for a good while. I had an instructor come buy and the first thing he did was video me stroking the ball. He critically evaluated my stroke based on the various shots (draw, follow, break, soft, medium....etc). It was VERY useful and I learned what I had really wanted to learn (how to draw the ball) in about the first 15 minutes. With these days of smart phones and so forth this might actually be quite easy to do.

So I brought a forge up to my daughter's place for Thanksgiving. *3* three year olds in the house as my other daughters came over with their kids as well. I had planned for this and set up a heavy piece of timber a small anvil---about 1 pound, steel!---that was one of my Daughter's birth gift from friends. I set some nails in the cracks in the wood and gave them each a length of no lead solder and a 4 oz ballpeen hammer and let them go to town while their fathers and I worked at the forge at the other end of the area with a "fence" between us and them.

*Everyone* had a good time and no "owies" were reported! Soon it will be time to start giving them tools for birthdays and Christmases---even my grand Daughters!

I use a camcorder, have done since I had a tape one many years ago, videod myself working then played it back and found it very helpful in improving work station layout, use of hammer control, wasted time and inefficient methods, efficiency of movement etc.

It is most useful for students to see how they are working, and what can be improved, and not just in the "how to hammer" situation

I do not understand... That answer gives no clear meaning as to wether you were talking about my video or the farrier!
:S
alce

I was talking about the farrier, you have 2 ofs in your question as in "were you talking of my video of the video of the farrier" 2 ofs. I thought you were just repeating yourself.