I Forge Iron

First 'artsy' project, on the new deck.

Black Frog

Redoing my old, run-down deck that never had a railing around it.
The framing was still ok to use, so I went with a new deck and wanted a nice rail around the edge for a nicer look.

Problem was the way they (poorly) laid out the support posts for the framing wouldn't let me position my railing 4x4's symetrical on the corners.
Only way I could keep it balanced was to stay back a good 8-9" from each 45 degree corner. Then the problem became how to do the railing on the corners when I can't plant a 4x4 for support. Well then I had the bright idea of turning this problem into an opportunity to do some artsy ironwork.

I made a frame into which I wanted to put some 'wispy cattails and grasses' kind of look to accent the deck.
I'm happy with how it turned out, and now love my deck!
This little project has turned into lots of new work requests from the neighbors who have seen it....

post-25745-0-71900200-1348249395_thumb.j

post-25745-0-06317000-1348249413_thumb.j

post-25745-0-22996500-1348249428_thumb.j

That turned out really well. It's a great feature and I'm sure is now the focus of your deck. A new deck, most folk will look down and around and say "Nice deck", but with this they'll look around and lock onto your panel "Whoa, that's cool" and away you go with the talking point....

• 2 weeks later...