I Forge Iron

Is this a biggun?

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/atq/3256063547.html
I found this anvil and am considering it, but to me, (and I've got a strange gut feeling) it looks like it might be a bigger 200-300 lbs anvil. Any idea of what this anvil is and the size? (the shape kinda confuses me, I'm not really great ad IDing anvils yet.... with experience that will come, I suppose.)
Thanks! ~RF

Without any real dimensions it will be tough to estimate a rough size. it looks like it could be in the range of 90 to 170lbs. I'd contact the seller to see if they can either place it on a scale, or get some dimensions... width of face height of anvil and lenght of face and horn. I have a Hay Budden that's 11 inches tall about a 4" face and is about 28" long and its around 170lbs.

I've got an e-mail in to them, but to me it just looks big. Maybe its the stubby horn that's throwing me off.

I dunno, the horn on the 100 PW I sold was definitely narrower in proportion that's why I think it's closer to 150.......You can always make more money, good anvil deals are a fickle thing.................

well, if we assume the hardy hole is 7/8 inch, the anvil scales out to around a 13-inch long face a bit less than 4 inches wide. According to the hay-budden catalog that was posted here a while back, that would make this anvil around 100# ....if it is a 1-inch hardy, it would be around a 15-inch long face about 4-inches wide, which would make around 125-150#

Note that the seller says they can't move it themselves.... and the nails in the last pic are painted. This indicates the seller is female and is corroborated by the lack of details and admission that the seller can't move the anvil by themselves. It doesn't mean the anvil is big, just that the seller is small.

The average American female foot (nail polish on the toes) is approximately 4.5" wide at the ball. The clover and spurge growing around the base is going to average approximately .75" wide in the leaves.

I would estimate that anvil in the 100-150lb range.

As far as I know, I am the only BIGGUN on here =)

If the ad has been up for months, that makes for some barganing. Take ca$h , BenFranklin is a good portrait to use, and make an offer that you CAN afford. Let them know that you will be using the anvil like their grandpa did. Some small talk has got me some great deals. Out West I have averaged $1 a pound over the last 20 years.Picked up a nice 170# HB for $175 a couple of years ago off CL. Give it a shot, all they can say is no.

That looks exactly like my anvil in shape and size, I would say mine is on the medium to medium-small side. I got mine from a scrap yard, before I took it away I asked them to weigh it, their scales said it was 124kg.

That sounded about right to me because I weigh roughly 70kg and I know I can lift my bodyweight, but I can barely lift the anvil an inch off the ground on my own.

Not sure if it helps, but the add actually lists some dimensions:
"The anvil is 29" long across the top,
12" tall and 5" wide across the top working area."

Well, if that's the case then I would expect the anvil to weigh at least 200lb. My newly-acquired Fisher shares those dimensions close enough, but is thicker in the heel, so I could see this anvil weighing less than 300.