I Forge Iron

Found a forge for a good price

Krimble

Hey guys, Me and my grandpa went to visit a older guy's forge for ideas on how to build mine, but it ended up of him saying that he was looking for someone to buy it, because he was getting old.

I asked how much he would want for it, and to my surprise, he said that because I was young (17 years old) He would sell it to me for 25$, because there is not enough blacksmiths these days, and It would be an investment. So we went to get the trailer and we picked up the stuff.

I noticed that the table was wooden and covered in cement, so tomorrow I will rebuild the table and put some bricks instead.

The reason I find 25$ a steal, is because I have a very good working, Canadian Blower & Forge Company blower, two pairs of tongs, wich I needed, a 100 pound anvil I will get soon. ,a small fire pot that's on the table, and a cool Canadian Blower & Forge Company Hand drill press in mind shape.

Heres some pics :

(Sorry for the quality, It was dark outside. )

IMAG0427.jpg

IMAG0429.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg

IMAG0432.jpg

IMAG0434.jpg

Congrats, great story and lesson for us all, if we do not pass down the tools then why pass down the knowledge? BTW, I hope once you are up and running you have him over (that was a cleverly hidden hint)

I sure will, I have many things to learn, but like he said, I have a lot of time to learn it. He used it to make anchors and stuff for his boat, because he used to fish lobster.
He said that back then there was not much welders and they weren't cheap, so they welded with a forge. He then told us many stories about blacksmiths and god and stuff, but it was interesting.

Yes, like Vaughn said treasure that friendship and gain all the knowledge you can from this man. He sounds like most blacksmiths I've met so far... willing to share his knowledge with those that are willing to learn. That's one of the most amazing thing I've found about the craft of blacksmithing. If you're willing to learn and are passionate about the craft there are many teachers willing to share their knowledge of the trade!

Great story! Myself I am 33, when I started a memeber on the forum was nice enough to give me my first forge. Once I was ready to move to a different set-up I passed it on to a "kid" that was 18. I have never been part of any other hobby where people are willing to help one another out as much as blacksmith.

If your benefactor needs the anvil for another month perhaps you could offer to help him with whatever he needs to do. It'll be a little payback for the forge and anvil and you can work with him and learn. You have a friendship to treasure, remember how it feels when you have the opportunity to pass it on to the next generation.

Frosty the Lucky.

Hi guys, I got myself a place in my yard for my forge, and I made a new table.

The table is made from wood and the forge part itself is made out of a rim. I wanted to cover the holes in the rim with metal sheets.
I have a feeling that the wood will catch on fire, because there is wood inside the 55 gallon drum.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do? Thanks! :D I know the shed is crap, but my dad gave it for free, and I will fix it up.

544.jpg

539.jpg

541.jpg

542.jpg

543.jpg

545.jpg