I Forge Iron

Torsion Bars for working Material

I acquired these things for a few dollars today. They are torsion bars from a Chev SIlvarado 4wd
Without a caliper I guess the measurement to be approc 1 1/4 dia x 56 inch long. I am expecting them to be made from 5160 as they have a propensity to loose their torsional strength with abuse in 4wd vehicles.

Anyone with more information about their true makeup is welcome to contribute. I gave $10 each to a friend who says they normally fetch a $25 fee per each.

I plan on heating a suitable section to hot cut then anneal some for projects. One may be hammered and bent for a HD prybar. My problems may just be starting as how to heat treat just the section that is reshaped, such as a curve or a thinned prying element.

Again input is welcome

Carry on

post-23632-0-48835700-1345821499_thumb.j

post-23632-0-63124000-1345821521_thumb.j

post-23632-0-39502200-1345821532_thumb.j

Nice score! I have lost count of how many times I have used a broken one of those to bust out concrete sidewalk, driveway, slabs... The one my Dad has snapped in a classic spiral fashion a few inches from the end so it is about 4 ft of sharp pointed digging power.

I see lots of good tools in your future!

Phil

That was one of the items I yanked out of every MOPAR I scrapped out. Chrysler started using torsion bars very early, so there are tons of them out there. I also snagged every sway bar, coil spring, and leaf spring before hauling the other car brand carcasses out to the wreckers.

Contact local body shops, as they replace them after some accidents. Lots cheaper than $10 ea. usually free.

Try contacting Chevrolet directly for the alloy info. I contacted some forklift manufacturers about what steel is used in th etines, and got some responses back. Worth a shot, and you will get your info from the source.

• 4 months later...

Not quite on the topic but I was interested in the comment about Chrysler parts. Even here in Australia the torsion bars of local Chryslers were (and are) sought after by Blacksmiths and others "in the know" for use as pry bars jemmy bars and the like. I can still spot one a mile off! I've got a few stashed away for special projects. Mind you they stopped building Chryslers here years ago so the source has just about dried up in the scrap line although the restorers still use them.

Since my current assignment as Electrician is at the GM assembly plant for that truck I will ask the engineer I am following around, I am installing computers and monitors in that section and stand on them part of the day ;)

I'd be interested to find out as well. I happen to grab 2 of these from the scrap pile as well.