I Forge Iron

Oh heck yea Jeff. "Matchlessantiques" is the seller and he get OVER the top prices for his anvils! I have never seen any of his anvils that were not in near perfect condition. You will pay for it, but you will get a good anvil from him. Actual weight is 220# so it may go even past that $600.

$305 now, "reserve not met."

The reserve is probably about $3/lb so $675. Of course that is a guess on my part, based on other auctions I have watched from this seller. I almost wish I had the money to bid on it. That is a sweet anvil.

Phil

what is with this company? they do have very nice clean anvils, i want to know where they get them all, also what kind of gypsy magic they have working for them that they constantly fetch so much for there anvils and what not?

They might weld the bad ones themselves. If so, they do a very good job.

I believe the most they do is wire wheel them. The questions been asked before and I'd be highly surprised if the repaired them by welding.
I bet it's their magnetic personality. Seriously. Ever since I started bladesmithing and blacksmithing I get tons of metal free. Lol.

Hans, I got to talk to him at the ABANA conference. No secrets, this is his job, buying and selling blacksmith tools. He works hard at it. He has a copy of every book written on anvils, searches the whole world diligently on-line, he goes to lots of big auctions in person, and he has a network of pickers who go to others. He is not a distressed or unknowledgeable seller, so he can put a reasonable reserve so as not to take a loss on an online auction. He brings a flatbed load of primo stuff to conferences, and has everything cataloged. Plus, he is pretty good to talk to.

I have a 90# Wilkinson that is my "travel" anvil. It is a dandy! With that thick waist it acts like a much bigger anvil because of the mass directly under your hammer! I'll bet the Ebay one is a dandy too with that same shape! If I needed another one that size I'd run it up to a thousand bucks in a heartbeat!