I Forge Iron

RR Spike Challenge

rthibeau

• 1 month later...

Here is a tomahawk I made on accident. I was really just beating a spike for hammer practice. It just took shape as I was hammering. This was my first blade of any kind. I had some help on punching the hole from another blacksmith. In this picture I had just shoved a handle in it. I have since shaped a handle and attached it.

post-7410-12624044409196_thumb.jpg

I am a simple kind of guy, I broke the handle off my wire brush, sooooooo I just made a twisted spike into a handle, It's visible in the thread, "what do you have a lot of laying around", or something like that, tried to upload on the new format and it failed repeatedly, oh well.

I like this post, as I have buckets of spikes laying around. I am mainly interested in items where the spike is still identifiable as a RR spike. Otherwise it looks like any other item made from bar stock.

The door knocker is sharp.

The bottle opener would be great for a RR worker, or RR enthusiast.

I like the Hawks, and knives where the spike head is left intact. Again, good gifts for RR fans.

I could see making one of those cut, and unfolded crosses with the short arms being the split head.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody, Here are few items that I forged from r/r spikes. I'm calling the knife shaped objects letter-openers because they're forged from low carbon spikes. Our blacksmithing group has some events (hands-on) coming up and my hopes are to get some of the more experienced smiths to maybe help me finish them.
The coat-rack was a spur of the moment thing. Snow bound for about a week, cabin fever drove me to the shop and this was the only thing I could complete using my scrap bucket. Hooks are low carbon spikes, saving my H/C spikes until my skill level improves, split with a hot cutter and drifted with the bar stock that later became the mounting bar. Bar was textured with a small ball peen hammer that has seen better days, but leaves a nice pattern. Used a home-made spring fuller to neck down the bar ends. Look them over and let me know what you think, so-far less than 30 hrs. at forge so be easy. OK? Davidpost-5751-12648639322095_thumb.jpgpost-5751-1264864117383_thumb.jpgpost-5751-12648642204541_thumb.jpgpost-5751-12648642935026_thumb.jpgpost-5751-12648643497178_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...