I Forge Iron

is it possible to build a powerhammer, or forging press for under 200 dollars

i was wondering if it is possible to build a powerhammer(preferably not very huge, i dont have the room) or a hydraulic press for under 200 dollars, and if so where to possibly get the plans, or where a tutorial is. much appreciated if you could help, been wantin to make some damascus, il post a pic of the ones i was thinking of (size comparason)post-25888-0-98675900-1339452860_thumb.jpost-25888-0-42396400-1339452877_thumb.j

If you are a very good scrounger, and can weld and do light machining with a drill press, yes. I built my hammer in 2002, and it was a 32# Palmer patent style, that many call a Rusty. I had $43 US then. I suspect that if I needed to start today, I could do it for less than $200 easily.

I built my tire hammer for about $50 US. That was about 3 years ago. I scrounged parts for about a year before I finally had everything that I needed. My "blue prints" were pictures of other guys tire hammers on IFI. I had no measurements but guessed at them from the pics. I had to make a couple of adjustments. But it works, now, and it is a life saver when doing a large order using heavy material. :) There are plans available for the Clay Spencer tire hammer. Do a search on here or Google Clay Spencer Tire Hammer Plans. You won't regret making a power hammer. :)

If your building to someones plans it most likely will cost you more as you wil have to get hold of what they used. If your going on the cheap you take what you got and figure out what else you have to dig up to make it work. One way to start is take the motor you have and build from that. You really can't build a 100#er with a 1/2 hp motor etc. Grant would have called it vise grip enginering

it really depends on you and wot you have as experience and wot equipment you have. If you have a drill press,,the right size drills. a grin dre that can be used to cut metal and clean up welds..A welder and the ability to use it well. And if you have transportation to find and gather up materials you have a start. yoku also will be way ahead of the game to fins someone with a hammer and beg a visit,,look it over and take pics and measurements if that does not overstay your welcome. If youi have none of these things or few you may not be able to build one at any price. It is way pricey to build somthing with the wrong materials and have it not do wot youi wish. May end up those materials will not be reusable..All that said if youi are up to it and craftly it may work well. And of course if you do not know how to move metal with a hand hammer a power hammer will allow you to destroy a billet much faster,,,,lol

i am building a rusty type hammer and think that starting with the anvil is the way to go,its weight will give you the ram weight shoot for 10 to 1 min.also the height of the anvil leads to setting the guide hight, and main post that the springs piviet on its height also,the distance between the piviet point and the center of the anvil or bottom die helps set the length of the springs (plus extra as they travel in an ark and need to pass through rollers on the ram).as others have said use every ones home built as a guide and go for it .search ifi for danish krusty its a good thread with a vid.

Here is a set of plans that a smith in Switerland drew up and used to build a (k)rusty style hammer with. It is in metric sizing but easy enough to convert.

http://www.ferrumdg.com/en/knives-swords/know-how/288-krusty-the-mechanical-powerhammer

I don't know if you can do it for under $200 but it is a starting spot for you to decide from.

Brian Pierson

• 3 months later...