I Forge Iron

Champion Blower & Forge

Sakadt

Hey Guys,

I've been lurking here for awhile and finally decided to sign up after I bought a forge this weekend. While I have built a few in the past years, I couldn't pass up this offer, and wanted to share it with you guys.

This is the Forge, it is a Champion Blower and Forge from Livingston PA patented in 1902. The forge and blower are both in great shape.

I payed $200 for it, granted I could have built 3 more forges for the same cost, But like I said I couldn't pass up this piece of history.

Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any insight of the history of this types of forges I would love to hear what you guys have to say about it.

Thanks,
Sakadt

photo1-1.jpg?t=1338332744photo.jpg?t=1338332735photo1.jpg?t=1338332735

Sakadt, welcome to IFI! You look to be on the right track. Take some courses and you'll be well on your way!
Ah! The 401 model. Nice catch! A little on the pricey side, but if it works for you and helps you, its a good investment. Besides, if you keep in in good shape, 20 or 30 years from now it might have tripled in price. Yours looks to be in good condition, just make sure to clay the pan before use.

Looks to be in great shape and a nice piece of history to boot. $200 is a great deal around my parts unless you are just having one of them lucky days. I'd have jumped all over that deal.

Cheers,
Ken

Welcome aboard Sakadt, glad to have you. Where do you live? If you'll put your general location in your header you might be happily surprised to discover how many guys here live within visiting distance. More importantly us old farts won't have to rely on our memories when traveling as to who's in the neighborhood if we want a snack or spot to nap.

Nice score on the forge. Looks to be in good shape and they're just sooo handy smithing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the feed back guys, and thanks for the welcome! I'm in Tempe Arizona right now, which is just down the road from Phoenix. Ridge you mentioned putting down in the inside before use, what method/ type you suggest. I would for a baseball field maintenance company part time and could a really good clay for cheap.

Clay would work, but refractory cement is the best. There is a mixture, maybe someone more experienced could remind me. What is it, 1 part sand to two parts portland cement? But really, anything to protect the bottom from being eaten away. Sand, dirt, coal dust... Looks good!

I just re-linned my forge using the suggested from members of this board of 1 part portland cement and 3 parts sand mixture. I forged for several hours on Mon. Cleaned out the forge and the linning hand two minor cracks. Not even something I would need to repair.
Ken

I paid $175 for mine.It was pretty decent like yours, but,,,,,,,,,,,,, it was painted blue! It took quite a bit of work to clean it up and then paint it. I opted NOT to paint the blower. Just because.

I added a new custom/self-made grate to mine along with the tool rack/hanger to the side. I found out later that it would work much better to have a set of notches cut in the side in which a long work piece could pass through, deeper in the fire. However, I have very seldom use my Champion #401.

They made these in several different sizes depending upon the dia of the pan. The smallest is 18". Thses are designed for use at a building or bridge where the rivets were heated prior to install. I have used these (small rivet forges) to make just about everything. They work OK,. but not ideal for all tasks.

post-21170-0-19833400-1338476121_thumb.j

post-21170-0-36721400-1338476148_thumb.j

post-21170-0-23541400-1338476164_thumb.j

post-21170-0-16956500-1338476207_thumb.j

SReynolds, You did a great job restoring this forge, I love what you did with the coloring and grate. I also like what you did with the heat shield for the blower. I also know what you mean about cutting slots into the sides to allow for working on large pieces of metal, but I can not bring my self to cut up and alter this forge so I'm in the process of building a 2nd forge that will allow me to work longer pieces and use this for my small projects.

Sakadt

PS Guys, thank you for all your feedback and knowledge.

sakadt so far i really like the pan i made. still is a nice portable size with enough room for some bigger prodjects. i am finishing up the clinker breaker and tring to deside on a hood or just a heat shield today will post pics when done.