I Forge Iron

New Bandsaw

Well I needed SOMETHING to spend my money on! LOL

No really I think this is something that will be a great asset to my shop. My current bandsaw is a standard jet with a 4x6 inch cutting capacity. I've fought with it a lot trying to get it to cut square. It is old and has seen service in more than one full time blacksmith shop. I've had the need to cut larger stock several times in the past and either have to cut it from different directions on my saw, or use the torch and grind.

I found a deal on craigslist, checked the saw out through the manufacturer, and decided to buy.

I went today and picked it up!

DSC04998.jpg
DSC05000.jpg
DSC04999.jpg
DSC05001.jpg

It's got an 8x14 cutting capacity and runs $3500 new, (according to the manufacturer.) I got it for $850. It was manufactured in the '80s but the guy that bought it only used it to square log ends when building his house. It is still on the factory crate base.

Those are nice saws. I had one my shop for 2-3 years. The only concern that I had with the saw was that it was a lot bigger than I needed on a regular basis and the effort it took to raise the saw for multiple small cuts got to be be a drag. I however solved that problem by fabricating a counter balance fixture that interchanged with the adjustable leg provided for the vertical operating position. This fixture, consisted of a round bar sized to hold a couple of small weights from a weight lifting set. The bar was welded to a piece of stock that fit into the leg socket. I used motor shalt collars as adjustable stops to hold the weights in the sweet spot for whatever size stock I was cutting. It didn't take much weight but made a huge difference in the effort expended using the saw.

Before I built that fixture I experimented by hanging stuff off of the leg. Good luck and happy sawing.

Tail lights have a tendency to go out after being impacted by a Camaro at 40 MPH. (Ice is SLICK!) We need a new bed, but our truck is hard to find a bed for, and they are REALLY expensive!

Good point about the weight. I always band a bunch of rods together when I need to cut a lot of one thing. That allows me to work on other things before having to tend the saw again. Like anything, tweak it to fit you. Good idea though and I'll keep it tucked away in my "useful information file" in case it is needed.

LOL already got a spot figured out for it. It's going where the old saw is now. The old saw will eventually get a new heavy duty stand and some infeed and outfeed roller stands, and then get put up for sale probably. Some good infeed/outfeed rollers for the new saw are in order as well, but that's on down the line. I've got custom jobs to get going and stock to build up for an upcoming show.

talk about missing the forest for the trees! you are a blacksmith now dummy build a new bed for it, nice flat bed would do great I bet

You want to try to talk my dad into that....go right ahead.....I couldn't convince him! LOL

It's my dad's truck. I don't own a vehicle........uhhhh yes I'm 19 and I've never owned a vehicle. No it's not because I'm a reckless driver and dad doesn't want me to have one. I wouldn't have the shop I have now if I spent my money on a vehicle. I'm saving and working toward getting one next year. I'm in no hurry!
Oh and although it was recked on a trip I planned, I was not driving. :D

Nice saw, great score...I know what you mean about the 4x6 saws..Some of them can be a real pain and wont cut straight for love or money..We have been using a dewalt porta band(10amp) and a chop saw to cut everything....Ive cut up to 2 5/16" round on our chopsaw before..You just gotta be real patient :P

If you have the room I would keep the 4x6 saw. I had to sell mine because I didn't have the room, but I miss it every now and again. You won't get much for it because they sell so cheap. They can be really handy for cutting smaller stock. Also if you have to cut a forged piece and are concerned about it being hard or your clamping is a little sketchy it is nicer to do in the little saw because if you mess up a blade on the little saw it is $20 the big saw is $40-50. I might be inclined to lock the arm up and set it up with a decent table so you have a vertical saw.

If you have the room I would keep the 4x6 saw. I had to sell mine because I didn't have the room, but I miss it every now and again. You won't get much for it because they sell so cheap. They can be really handy for cutting smaller stock. Also if you have to cut a forged piece and are concerned about it being hard or your clamping is a little sketchy it is nicer to do in the little saw because if you mess up a blade on the little saw it is $20 the big saw is $40-50. I might be inclined to lock the arm up and set it up with a decent table so you have a vertical saw.

Yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing! The stand on the small one is falling apart so I was going to build a new heavy duty one (which would make it worth more,) but I did figure it might be nice to keep!

That's a nice saw alright Dave, it'll do yeoman work for decades with a little upkeep. Don't get rid of the Jet though, cutting off square is a simple matter to correct. Is the cut curved? If so the blade is dulled a bit on one side. If the cuts are straight but at an angle the guide rollers need adjusting, there are three, two hold the blade straight and vertical, one keeps it from skipping out of the cut. They have a lock nut and an allen screw, make small adjustments and test a cut. There is a chance one of the rollers or eccentric screws is worn out but they're easy to replace and not expensive at all.

Is your Jet a horizontal/vertical? I LOVE my horizontal/vertical Jet, I use it all the time.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the blade suggestions! My jet is a horizontal/vertical too. So Yeah, I'll stick it in the vertical position, build a table for it, and be ready to cut anything that comes my way.

The guy said he wanted something to cut the logs off perfectly square. After watching my dad do some chainsaw work, I think I know why the guy didn't try to cut square with a chainsaw! LOL

Okay sparky I can see you are a fan of Jet saws. I have a real nice used 7 by 13 jet I will trade you even up for that Carolina......... No? oh well had to ask.
Nice saw and the thought about keeping the 6 inch for a vertical only has a lot of merit. That is my next big purchase a vertical so I don't have to keep swaping mine around.