I Forge Iron

Cutting Oxygen Cylinders

My step-father just closed down his medical practice recently, and asked me to help dispose of some of the last equipment. Among the things he had were some smallish oxygen cylinders with the little rolling carts: the kind of things you see people with emphysema rolling around.

Just since I have a weakness for free wheels, I grabbed them. But then I remembered that gas cylinders make good gongs if you cut the bottoms off and hang a clapper inside.

I'm guessing that, since they held oxygen and not something flammable, I can make a fixture, and cut them with an abrasive wheel or band saw. Is this correct? Other than removing the regulator and valve, are there any other precautions I should be taking?

First***VERY IMPORTANT*** make sure the cylinder is empty before doing anything with it. Open the valve (away from you) and let it vent if ther is any O2 in it. Take a air blower and put som pressure in it if it is empty and see if anything blows out when you take the blower off. I'm telling you to do this because the valve stems can breat, you think it's empt and the cylinder be full. I worked with a guy who almost killed himself devalving an empty cylinder. When you are certain, preceed with caution.

What do the bottoms of the tanks look like? The large cylinders have a great dish in them a fine shape for cold forming depressions. If your shop has a dirt floor you can set one upside down in a hole the right height for you to comfortably hammer on it, no cutting required.

I will put a second on what jm said- be sure it is empty and Larry's band saw advise is how I would proceed. Just because a gas is not flammable does not mean that it is not dangerous. O2 supports combustion, and if it comes in contact with oil, grease, dirt under pressure it will blow up on you by itself. There was a post about a guy who killed himself trying to remove the valve on one of those cylinders. It was not a pretty sight.

Pure Oxygen is Highly flamable ! make sure it is compleatly emptyand let it set for days with the valve open , some cylinders have a pours type of cement (it is light weight ) they fill the tanks with it holds residual Oxygen . remove valve with caution and cut with caution .

Sam

I cut a discarded 12" dia oxygen cylinder in half to make a gas forge out of the bottom half. I used a 4" angle grinder, and ran it around and around the cylinder, getting deeper and deeper (can you feel the suspense?), until it broke in half (or if you prefer, two). The top half now hangs as a gong in my yard. In retrospect, if I had used something lighter, like say an L.P. gas cylinder, then my forge would be easier to carry.

USE CAUTION when cutting into any closed container.

Just because it is open to the air does not mean it is safe. Residual material, dust, all manner of stuff can cause an explosion. Cutting with an ox/ac, grinder, abrasive wheel, plasma, band saw can all create heat and sparks. Add a vaporized substance and ...... well it may not end well. Just because Bubba and a 6 pack of liquid courage got away with it does not mean it works.

The one thing I have not heard in all the suggestions thus far is to open and remove the valve, let the ox cylinder vent to the outside air for a period of time, then wash the inside with soap and water solution. Before you cut, fill the container with water, thus reducing the volume of combustible space.

Also the wife, or neighbor to have 911 on speed dial and come running if they hear any unusual noises.

Pure Oxygen is Highly flamable ! make sure it is compleatly emptyand let it set for days with the valve open , some cylinders have a pours type of cement (it is light weight ) they fill the tanks with it holds residual Oxygen . remove valve with caution and cut with caution .

Sam

Oxygen is NOT flammable by itself, As stated on the bottle the warning reads; ''vigorously accelerates combustion''. The warning on all fuel bottles reads ''flammable gas''.Has any body here ever forgotton to turn the gas when lighting a torch and had the oxygen on? It doesn't light.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=is%20oxygen%20flammable&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CFEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newton.dep.anl.gov%2Faskasci%2Fchem03%2Fchem03291.htm&ei=EkihT8uAKoqQiQLt1IGtAg&usg=AFQjCNHIfhtpFbVBYPM0crziOEVe9AShyA&cad=rja

Sam, those articles DO NOT say the oxygen is flammable anywhere in them. here is the MSDS for oxygen from AIrgas, http://www.airgas.com/documents/pdf/001043.pdf According to MSDS datasheets on oxygen:
It's non-flammable, non-toxic gas (oxidizer)

Oxygen ALONE is not flammable. Now if you mix oxygen with just about any type of dust or grit you can achieve fire. Any material that will burn can be highly accelerated by oxygen. This is the whole concept behind Oxy Acetylene cutting. As soon at the steel is heated to a glowing red it has become hot enough to start burning when Oxygen is added. The Oxygen causes the hot steel to rapidly burn away. But its the steel burning, Not the Oxygen

Yup..........what HE said : :ph34r:

Oxygen ALONE is not flammable. Now if you mix oxygen with just about any type of dust or grit you can achieve fire. Any material that will burn can be highly accelerated by oxygen. This is the whole concept behind Oxy Acetylene cutting. As soon at the steel is heated to a glowing red it has become hot enough to start burning when Oxygen is added. The Oxygen causes the hot steel to rapidly burn away. But its the steel burning, Not the Oxygen

Oxygen ALONE is not flammable. ..The Oxygen causes the hot steel to rapidly burn away. But its the steel burning, Not the Oxygen

I think you're wrong as well. Oxygen does burn, it's one of the three elements rrequired for a fire, fuel, oxygen, ignition. Remove any one of those and you dont have a fire. Most people who die in fires dont burn ot death, they die of lack of oxygen first.

My $0.02 worth= I have converted one to house argon(not to be attempted by those not in the know,as it were) to use at home,so I don't have to lug around a large cylinder,
Some vendors will also exchange/swap cylinders- thereby getting a small argon and a small acetelene(think like port-a-pack) it's a win

I think you're wrong as well. Oxygen does burn, it's one of the three elements rrequired for a fire, fuel, oxygen, ignition. Remove any one of those and you dont have a fire. Most people who die in fires dont burn ot death, they die of lack of oxygen first.

Did you read the MSDS link in post #13? Here is section 5 on fire-fighting measures. The VERY FIRST words are NON-FLAMMABLE!

Section 5. Fire-fighting measures
Flammability of the product : Non-flammable.
Products of combustion : No specific data.
Fire hazards in the presence of various substances Use an extinguishing agent suitable for the surrounding fire. Fire-fighting media and instructions Extremely flammable in the presence of the following materials or conditions: reducing materials, combustible materials and organic materials. Apply water from a safe distance to cool container and protect surrounding area. If involved in fire, shut off flow immediately if it can be done without risk. Contains gas under pressure. Contact with combustible material may cause fire. This material increases the risk of fire and may aid combustion. In a fire or if heated, a pressure increase will occur and the container may burst or explode. Special protective equipment for fire-fighters Fire-fighters should wear appropriate protective equipment and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) with a full face-piece operated in positive pressure mode.

In combustion, oxygen oxidizes a fuel. But oxygen itself isn't a fuel.
The process of burning is simple oxidation (like rust) but at a much faster rate. Almost every material gives off heat when it oxidizes, and this supports further combustion. Some materials will also vaporize when heated, increasing the ability of oxygen to react with them.
So it's a little confusing, in that fire itself is the oxidation of a material.
If flame (combustion) is rapid oxidation, how is it that oxygen is "non-flammable"?
If it sounds like I'm a bit confused, I am. Seems a bit contradictory to me, tho I've heard the explanation a few times.
Kinda like saying water is not wet, it only makes things that it gets on wet.

Combustion and other hazards

220px-Apollo_1_fire.jpg

magnify-clip.pngThe interior of the Apollo 1 Command Module. Pure O2 at higher than normal pressure and a spark led to a fire and the loss of the Apollo 1 crew.
Highly concentrated sources of oxygen promote rapid combustion. Fire and explosion hazards exist when concentrated oxidants and fuels are brought into close proximity; however, an ignition event, such as heat or a spark, is needed to trigger combustion.[115] Oxygen itself is not the fuel, but the oxidant. Combustion hazards also apply to compounds of oxygen with a high oxidative potential, such as peroxides, chlorates, nitrates, perchlorates, and dichromates because they can donate oxygen to a fire.
Concentrated O2 will allow combustion to proceed rapidly and energetically.[115] Steel pipes and storage vessels used to store and transmit both gaseous and liquid oxygen will act as a fuel; and therefore the design and manufacture of O2 systems requires special training to ensure that ignition sources are minimized.[115] The fire that killed the Apollo 1 crew in a launch pad test spread so rapidly because the capsule was pressurized with pure O2 but at slightly more than atmospheric pressure, instead of the 13 normal pressure that would be used in a mission.[116][117]
Liquid oxygen spills, if allowed to soak into organic matter, such as wood, petrochemicals, and asphalt can cause these materials to detonate unpredictably on subsequent mechanical impact.[115] As with other cryogenic liquids, on contact with the human body it can cause frostbites to the skin and the eyes.

From wikipedia.

the air that we all breathe is only about 21% free oxygen, and it burns stuff pretty efficently! but in a O2 cylinder the "air" is almost 100% O2 so you can imagine the potential train wreck when heat/spark is introduced...besides being under pressure,and "potentel stored energy" there,it will rupture violently,am i trying to "scare" you? of coarse. can it be cut? yes if properly done, best way is to fill with water and cut it.you can displace with water,empty and cut with band saw, the key is to displace the whole volume and you'll be in good shape,good luck