I Forge Iron

Prosthetic forging arm?

Dave Budd

it seems to me you should be able to make a set of ratcheting tongs that would be able to quickly locked tight right handed and then used left handed with no worry as to the work slipping not perfect but just a though as well having had a friend loos the ability to close his left hand with any real force from a farming accident he had some gloves with a fiberglass mold over then fitted with things such as ski pole hands and the like that he could slip his hand into and still hold onto things
http://aaavetsurgical.com/products.php?cat=197 this is a ratcheting set of medical forceps that gave me the idea for the tongs
i dont know if its any help or not but thought i would put it out there

Give him a set of tongs and let him work out what modifications he needs to make them a comfortable fit. Help him fabricate the modification. Test and revise as needed.

He has a thumb and a palm to work with maybe nothing more than a wrist band to secure/stabilize one tong rein will be needed.

Here is a mock-up of something to get him started. Once he gets going I am sure that he will work out other solutions and find what works best.

The idea is that he may not be able to grip and manipulate two reins so use modified locking pliers with a single rein of an appropriate size and shape to allow him to firmly grip the "tong".

post-14777-0-00321800-1335018914_thumb.j

The single rein could be bent/configured and lengthened to allow one end of the rein to slip under a velcro wrist band for additional stability.

Here is a mock-up of something to get him started. Once he gets going I am sure that he will work out other solutions and find what works best.

The idea is that he may not be able to grip and manipulate two reins so use modified locking pliers with a single rein of an appropriate size and shape to allow him to firmly grip the "tong".

post-14777-0-00321800-1335018914_thumb.j

The single rein could be bent/configured and lengthened to allow one end of the rein to slip under a velcro wrist band for additional stability.

That looks like it might be handy to have, even with two good working hands!

Phil

That looks like it might be handy to have, even with two good working hands!

Phil

Thanks Phil. I use modified locking pliers frequently . My hands are authritic and the locking feature reduces the strength of grip required to hold and manipulate the work piece being forged. They really do hold things firmly. I modify only the jaws for my on use. However since Dave's friend may not be able to get a shortened thumb around two reins, this solution seems a natural.

Thanks Phil. I use modified locking pliers frequently . My hands are authritic and the locking feature reduces the strength of grip required to hold and manipulate the work piece being forged. They really do hold things firmly. I modify only the jaws for my on use. However since Dave's friend may not be able to get a shortened thumb around two reins, this solution seems a natural.

With my commercial tongs, OCP and Peddinghaus, when used on properly sized material the reins are quite close together. If grip strength is the problem, then tong rings are the solution, no further modifications needed.

Phil

With my commercial tongs, OCP and Peddinghaus, when used on properly sized material the reins are quite close together. If grip strength is the problem, then tong rings are the solution, no further modifications needed.

Phil

Well, yes except that I find the modified locking pliers useful for small light forgings . Most of my tongs are Atha or Champion. However when age and dissabilty come into play, light weight is good when it works.

I got this reply to my request to Ron.

The solution is simple: Since I have a left mid form amputation I use several pieces of conduit of different sizes to hold whatever tongs are used for a particular job. The tongs need to be fairly long and springy so they can be squeezed and pushed into the pipe and they can easily be rotated between the arm and hip and then worked from side to side or a full rotation. I manage to teach classes in blades, crosses, hearts and tomahawks, etc ., and it seems to work.

A number of real people have started using this “invention” to save strain on the tong hand.

Ron Childers

Wayne/Ron, that's great! Round pipe acting as a tong ring as well as a handle that can be rotated easily. I shall have to give that one a go :) My friend is away for a couple of weeks, but when he returns I'll print this thread out and get him in the forge for some experimentation!thanks

again folks

Ron just proves that it can be done. Nobody said it would be easy, as Ron says, "It's just a challenge." Of course, nobody ever said that learning blacksmithing for any of us is easy. You just have to have enough desire and persistence. One of the Williams sisters (tennis champs) said that her mother told her about the seven "Ps". Prior Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

if his wrist is there, make a metal, bowlshaped cup, and have it where it fits over his hand, then then have 2 tethers coming off onto a velcro strap around his wrist, 2 more tethers, but do it right before you hit the elbow, apply duct tape as needed to have a firm grip. then on the center, top of the bowl outside of course, take a set of vice grips and take out the screw, drill a hole int he middle of the bowl so the thread part of the screw can leave, then put screw thru hole and weld the big end that wont go thru to the metal and re-attatch to vicegrips, he can turn the vicegrips themselves now to tighten or loosen on his project. ive had that idea floating around in my head for a while, i just dunno about the system of attatching it to the arm.

• 3 weeks later...

What about looking at it from the other direction? It may be easier to manipulate the work with his "good" hand and modify the hammer. There are some extremely simple Oliver type hammer set ups out there. If you are replacing a hand hammer the rig could be light construction and use an existing anvil.

I'd have to second this, fewer attachments to make, but however ya'll do it I would love to see the results! You can BECOME ambidextious, my sister did.

A small note, I read in a Nat Geo about the breakthroughs in modern cybernetics. For something like this that would required a good deal of durability and dexterity, not to mention being an 'odd' amputation (not to offend) someone out there might be willing to foot the bill.

• 1 month later...

Here's an interesting one for the amassed minds. I've a friend who has been wanting to do a course with me for ages but isn't sure he would be able to forge on account of only having one hand!

His left hand was basically taken off by a motorcycle accident years ago and he has been left with about half of his thumb being the only semblance of a digit on his left hand. In day to day life he gets by by using the digit to pinch things between it and what would be his palm, so he can grasp small (less than maybe 1" round) items in an awkward but effective enough way. The rest of his arm (and presumably the rest of his body) is fine and fully functional.

I'm sure that some smith, at some stage, somewhere in the world must've come up with an interesting solution to holding work or a hammer to forge with? I've searched around online for prosthetics that might work, but nothing that I can find and the only reference to smiths and prosthetics is the fact that they would often make them.

My thought is to make a pair of tongs that are built into a sleeve he can strap to his forearm. Using a ring to lock the tongs it should work like holding a pair of tongs, if a deal less dextrous and would definately need to be kept cool. I suggested strapping a hammer to his arm (after a few beers), but he said he is very right handed and would likely hit his head instead!

So, has anybody come across a solution to this, or any new ideas?

Dave, was a sloution to this interesting question found ?

I had a soccer coach that had both of his arms amputated due to a horrible electrocution accident... He had split hooks that where closed and opened all on account of a tension pulley system hooked up to both prosthetics... if he wanted to close a hook, he would just move the opposite shoulder blade forward and reach with the other... He had zero issues, and could shuffle paperwork with no problem...

He used to say "I might look crippled, but I've got a heckofa right hook..." lol

• 5 months later...

Sorry for bringing this thread up from the grave, but it's very interesting to me . .  That armless ethiopian carpenter is unreal!!!    

Dave, did they guy ever figure something satisfactory out??

My idea is a piece of pipe on his belt (left hip)  He slips the tong handle through the close fitting pipe and holds the other rein of the tong with his left hand.  He can apply pressure to the tongs, rotate them around, choke up/down, etc all with his one hand one the free rein.

This  would require the pipe fitted to a sturdy belt or waist band, and custom tongs but most of the solutions will require something custom.

nothing hasa happened yet. I got busy with the show/course season, then I had an accident of my own (nearly removed a finger on a broken strip light). So have been preoccupied most of the year and not seen my friend since Easter anyway.  I'm less busy at the moment, and since you've awakened the question in my mind I think I should start trying some of these ideas :)

The only problem I can se with your idea though is the lack of manuverability on the anvil? Still it is an idea to try

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dave.  Not sure if I'm missing something here, but as a physiotherapist by profession for the past 17 years, it seems to me that we're overthinking the problem.  You say he can tie knots, whittle, and grip 1" stock?  I'd like to know how strong he can grip it, but if he's been independent with this hand for years, my guess is it's good and strong.  If the above is true, then all we should have to do is adjust the reins (angle, diameter, shape, etc) on any set of tongs where he needs to grip it to allow him to grip 1" or wherever he is strongest.  The only limitation I can see is the size of stock he'll be able to effectively handle under a power hammer, as heavier stock needs heavier tongs and he'll be limited by the diameter of the tongs at his grip.

The only limitation I can see is the size of stock he'll be able to effectively handle under a power hammer, as heavier stock needs heavier tongs and he'll be limited by the diameter of the tongs at his grip.

It may not be too much of a limitation, I rarely use tongs for bar work under the power hammer. If the project allows I prefer to cut a double length piece and use one for a handle and then turn it around and forge the second or I weld on a handle or wedge on a carry bar. 

For manipulating chunks/blocks tongs are vital of course, but the chunk weight should be taken by the pallet and the tongs just used to hold it in the correct aspect and position, so only quite light tongs are necessary.

Clifton Ralph said something along the lines of "the tongs do not have to carry the bar but are just to keep you on the end of it!" so forging a tenon or welding a small piece on the end of the workpiece for lighter tongs to grip is another possibility.

Edited by blackersmith