I Forge Iron

Very quiet anvil stands

I have been wondering if anyone has tried to use lead tape as a sound dampener.  I worked many years ago in a lead shop, fabricating x-ray shielding and such.  But once in a while we would get an order for a lead core door for a psychologist or therapist's office.  It is great for it's sound dampening, and thus, for their privacy.  In case you are wondering, I mean lead, as in the metal, not lead like "You take the lead position".

To answer your earlier question about putting magnets in a wood stand quieting your anvil. Nope, magnetism isn't what damps the ring, it's the magnet being able to rattle at a different resonant frequency than the anvil. It's the same effect as touching a ringing bell with your finger or hanging a dinner triangle directly on a nail. What the magnetism does is keep the metal damping device  from falling off. 

Lead sheet might work but there's a prevalent dislike of having exposed lead around. Zinc sheet is another good choice for damping sound and there is less B A D rep associated.

No access to a welder Gandalf? My steel tripod did wonders for damping the ring of my Soderfors and Trenton anvils and both are injuriously loud on a wood block stand, magnets, chain, etc. I never tried gluing them down with silicone calk though. Steel stands damp the sound because they have a different resonant frequency and it damps the hardened steel anvil's ability to resonate. (ring)

15 minutes ago, LeeJustice said:

Sheet lead could be held on with your magnets maybe,

Uh Lee: I trust you aren't suggesting you can stick a magnet to lead are you? Maybe like sticking a note to the fridge with a magnet. Yes?

Frosty The Lucky.

14 minutes ago, Frosty said:

My steel tripod did wonders for damping the ring of my Soderfors and Trenton anvils and both are injuriously loud on a wood block stand, magnets, chain, etc. I never tried gluing them down with silicone calk though. 

My Mousehole (aka The Undisputed King of Anvils) was similarly loud when it was on a stump. Moving to a metal tripod was a big improvement, but adding silicone caulk made the biggest difference. 

2 hours ago, Gandalfgreen said:

Anyone still have a picture of his stands cant get them to load.

1 hour ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

All the pictures in the early threads were lost in a forum upgrade glitch,

Photos are visible in the "Show me your anvil stands" thread starting around Page 10; this link will take you there:

Doesn't need to be a big buy.  An old Lincoln "Tombstone" stick welder should be cheap and good for decades. I bought mine in Columbus Ohio about 20 years ago and it may be older than I am!  

Akroncanton craigslist had one for US$50 recently (also $175, $200, $500)

If you're going to the scrap yard for material to build an anvil stand why don't you wait to get together with John so you buy what you need instead of a bunch of stuff you THINK will work?

Frosty The Lucky.

SHHHH John! I had him going there for a minute! :rolleyes:

What blacksmith doesn't need to get to the scrap yard, even if you have to wait till the wife isn't looking? 

Glad you didn't type the other half of the "wise" shot it could've gotten you in trouble with admin. 

Frosty The Lucky.

My anvil stands are made from 2" x 3" rectangular pipe with 2" x 2" angle iron. The angle iron fits the foot of the anvil snugly and is welded to the legs flange up. The anvil rests snugly in the angle iron rim, my hammer and top tool racks clip over the stand's rim and wedge the anvil in solid. I can lift the anvil and stand together with my engine hoist. To pull the anvil I tap the racks loose from below and it comes apart easily. Rack wedge detail pic below.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hammer rack01.JPG

• 5 months later...
On 6/21/2021 at 12:04 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Lots of ways to make a good position. I've done everything from a stumps to a large bale and a made wood, and I have a steel tripod that I got in Iron in a Hat. Don't change your mind about it! Don't try to perfection until you've even learned what perfection will be in your case!

Funny stump, as it were, with a story, fabulous!))

On 6/21/2021 at 11:01 AM, Gandalfgreen said:

Wonder if lead sheets for crafting

I used lead sheet for a while. However as you use your anvil the lead sheet thins out and becomes paper thin. So it didn't work for me.

I set trace the shape of my anvil on the top of my wood stump and chisel out a recess about 1-1/2" or so deep. Then fill with sand about an inch. The sand makes it easy to level my anvil and deadens the sound. The sides of the cut out keep my anvil from moving so I don't need any mechanical hold downs. And, if you need to move your anvil you can. I have another anvil for travelling, so I don't remove it from the stand. Also, my stump is buried in the ground about 2-1/2'.