I Forge Iron

When are you considered a blacksmith?

BillyO wrote: 

So....I agree with the thought the thoughts that you can call yourself a
Blacksmith if you are smithing, but realize that for those who actually
make a living at it may not agree with you.  And they have good reasons
for pointing out the differences, their livelihood depends on setting themselves apart from the rest of us

I don't make a living smithing, I do it for fun, as an antidote to the sit very very still in front of a computer way I make enough to live on, and smith in my spare time.

Just this weekend at the fleamarket, I was wearing my CBA (California Blacksmith Assoc) T shirt,  and I had two separate people approach to ask if I was a blacksmith, one wanted to learn and another had a railing commission to explore.

I explained it was a hobby for me, and I steered the guy who wanted to learn to IFI, and the CBA website for the next event (Placerville in April) and the railing commission person I gave the names of  some of the professional smiths I know from CBA. The smiths who do this for a living. I'm not interested in ruining a perfectly good hobby trying to turn it into a business.

To the general public, I certainly qualify as a blacksmith, my family sure thinks I am one.  But standing next to Shawn Lovell, Tim Cisneros or Toby Hickman?  I'm barely qualified to hurt myself. 

Kind of depends who's asking

You're a Blacksmith when....

- you don't have the time to post dissertations about what it takes to be a Blacksmith, because you're too busy working the medium....

:D

ZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J/K guys... carry on... ;)

Its February in the northeast the ground is frozen and I mostly do exterior iron work.  I got plenty of time.

I didn't think I was one until five years into my apprenticeship, when HE said I was one........................

Is that you in the photo Stuart? (The younger one - I assume the gentleman drinking was the fellow you apprenticed under)... If so, you are the spitting image of someone I know. I'm talking identical-twin or doppelgänger level of similarity. Scary!

I guess it's a personal thing, in that we all can delude ourselves. I felt like I was a blacksmith when I realized instead of asking myself "can I do that?" I found myself instead saying "What tools do I need to make to do that job?" This encompasses so much more than it states, and I can't clearly define it, I just know that I have a long way to go yet, and I plan to enjoy every step of it!

Yup I think you got it there ( IMO ) when you have the confidence to do just do a job with no doubts you will achieve it, to a quality that nobody doubts it ability to perform. That would about do it for me.

doc, on 04 Feb 2013 - 17:49, said:snapback.png

I'm sure many of you change the oil in your car. Does that make you an auto mechanic? It's like the old saying " Just cause the kittens were born in the oven it doesn't mean they are biscuits"  :)

At that point in time right then you are a mechanic . Just can't understand why it's so hard for some to see if your doing the job that's what you are..

I think they call it jack of all trades master of none

I'm Sorry Guess those kittens must be biscuits.

I did not consider my self a blacksmith until I had been forging for 5 years and other people started calling me a blacksmith.  I was getting paid to do it and paying my rent doing it.  I used to say I do forging or I like to blacksmith.  I don't think hot bending a bar or owing a forge and anvil makes you a blacksmith.  You can wish something with every fiber of your being but that don't make it so. Hard work practice and study are what it takes to get there. Think about what it took to make this would you even know where to start to make the simplest part with a equal level of finish? http://wiscohisto.tumblr.com/post/32352264609/wrought-iron-masterpiece-cyril-colnik-munich  A blacksmith made this.  I'm not that good very few are.  Just look at it and think of the skills necessary there are many things you wont even understand. 

Tim....that link will shake the bones of some noobs. I don't know whether it will wake some of them up or not, but , just to think that  those skills were what you need to become a qualified      APPRENTICE . I guess all the protestors have those skills, thats why they are ..... Blacksmiths........ (Legends in their own minds). Thats why the trade almost died, everyone who had a torch, and could heat it and beat it, could call themselves blacksmiths. When push came to shove.....they weren't. 

How about some of you guys think I'm wrong, some of us think that you're wrong, so that's what, agree to disagree ?

Would it be that hard to standardize a ranking system?

Someone needs to come up with some names and some tasks to graduate to the next level, have a group agree on it and start implementing it .

Because I have no problems working my way up, but as of now there is no way to work up anything it's just blacksmith that's it . So if you don't like it try changing it ...

How does one know when one has become anything? Steve is a journeyman electrician, he has spent the time, taken the test and received the certification to prove that he is what he says he is, no problem with that. In England there was and perhaps still is membership in the guild hall to establish you as an apprentice, journeyman, etc. but here in the United States things have always been a bit different especially after the War of Independence when we pretty much got shuck of whatever had to do with the old. I was a draftsman for years but I had nothing to prove to the rest of the industry that I had the capability of drawing my way out a paper sack other than a high schools drafting class, I did bronze casting for years and had no training other than books and watching others doing it and myself doing it so how could I call myself a founder, I certainly never had an apprenticeship in it. Was I a blacksmith, well I never really called myself one, others did, but I called it art as most of my stuff was useless as well those items on wild boars as art is never really very useful in and of its self you know. It's not like you can plow a rocky field with it or secure a window with it against break ins but it does look nice and stir the senses. So no I was not and am not a blacksmith but a metalsmith since I work metal in many different ways, I cast it, hammer it, twist it, repousse it, I work in bronze, silver, copper, lead, steel, cast iron, and I use all of the modern and ancient methods of working metal. I have very little in the way of formal metal working education but most has come from the writings of others and in conversation with master of the fire and anvil BUT am I a blacksmith, no I just dabble in it to reach my goal of making art. I just love fire and metal together, such fun it is. :P

Long read, but an amusing thread, I think i go with a scale system, If people ask what my hobbies are Ill tell them I am an hobby blacksmith.

If you introduce your self as a blacksmith outright it would mean to me that this was your job and you spent most of your day doing this task as a way of earning a living.

Or I find this web site sums it up nicely

http://www.phoenixrockgym.com/aaba/humor-youknow.htm

You know you're a blacksmith if...

your boogers are black

your shirt is full of holes

you're hearing impaired

you shave less than twice a week

it's no big deal when you catch on fire

you don't know your shop dog's real color

your grandfather wasn't a blacksmith

you never charge enough for your work

you stand around a fire when it's 100 degrees in the shade

the dog in the scrap yard doesn't attack you

one of your arms is bigger than the other

it rains coal dust when you scratch your head

"horseshoeing" means scaring them away

your idea of a family vacation includes a tool sale

you're happy to get coal for Christmas

First step in becoming "Pele" is attaining  a grapefruit... stumble over it, kick it, follow it's erratic wobble down the dirt road... Love every second of it...

then light a cigarette with the grapefruit... get it on video.... post it on youtube... Pele Who???

B)