I Forge Iron

High Speed Forged L-Bracket

Larry, even thinking about my horn on the right makes my brain hurt! lol

I gotta ask though to anyone that lost a finger to the hotcut.. why was your hand over the anvil where your hammer head should be? In what position do you need to be in to make that happen I cant seem to work it out in my head.. just like the video the only time my had is over the anvil is when I'm working an edge and even then my elbow would be the closest thing to the heel.. I'm so confused. I do understand people do stupid things some times ( the same ones that ask if thats real fire ) so oh well :P

When I learned to turn a shoe from one of the last original Army Cavalry Shoers, in the 70's, the horn was always to the right, but then again he was right handed. I'm not say'in nuttin , I'm just say'in , Some people are just stuck in their ways....like me, just another old opinionated blacksmith ! ! But actually, except for the cutting off of the fingers....the point is moot because you work from all sides of the anvil.....right ?

wesley that SOUNDS totally cool! mesmeric :) you could sample that ! very groovy :0
that hot cut in the hole thing, i was told when i was a complete beginner that under no circumstances should you do this, you could bring your wrist down on it ..?.. which now you say it seems a little bizaar, but the thought of that was obviously enough to put me off, because i always take the tools out of there.... as for the horn thing, i am right handed mostly, and have horn to the left, but its probly only cos the first one i used was like that or something, not sure... :) what you said makes sense tho larry, and what i choose to do and why, often doesnt ;)

Thanks Beth!
Its just a random thought but so many of use use a right handed left horn stile that our old and passed down anvils are formed to this position. I bought at auction what I called a left handed anvil because the horn was soooo worn out on the far side to me or the near side to a lefty!

I think for me turning a shoe would require more movement on a lefty, instead of moving my arm a bit to the left I would need to take a full step to the right to us the horn, a point that an innovative ( or lazy hahah ) Farrier made when he cut off his horn welded it back on at a 45º angle so he could make just a small twist to align himself to the horn. I think those anvils are still marketed today odd as they may look.

Is there anyone here who has lost a finger to a hardy? Anyone know someone who has? No hearsay please, firsthand knowledge please.

I rarely gainsay a safety measure though some aren't practical or even an improvement on safety. As for the specific subject, I do tell beginners to remove the hardy or other bottom tools unless they're using them. A beginner hasn't got the muscle memory built to NOT hammer in really odd positions, it''s a lot of what I'm there for to correct such. Another reason I tell students to keep the anvil neat is to prevent dropping things on toes or to trip over or be damaged. It's also the best way I know to know exactly where your stuff is. A place for everything and everything in it's place is a production shop mantra.

Speaking for myself, if I were to hammer with my hammer hand over the anvil face I'd be punching the face, I'm never close to the hardy hole unless I'm working on the heal and even then. The only time my hammer hand is over the face is when I'm working on the far edge and that's at the horn end where it's radiused. So speaking for myself it's no more dangerous than forging itself.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wesley,

That is a really neat video. I seriously think that would make a good teaching medium. Not necessarily for beginners, but once you understand the basic process, you can watch the piece materialize before your eyes. Real-time step-by-step videos are good, but they are either incredibly long or they omit parts of the process. Here you can watch the iron move with every blow. I don't know; maybe it's one of those right-brain / left-brain things, but this just seems to make sense to me.

Oh, and by the way, good forging.

Don

THAT is why a right handed smith has his horn on the right side, left handed smith horn to the left. ( come on right, left horn advocates argue with that ! )

well i wont argue i use a anvil with the horn eather way tho if i set it up the horn is to the right and ime left handed... ive also worked various setups where the horn was the other way dosnt make much difference to me.....

Thanks all I appreciate the support! I do the fast versions for my friends with short attention spans that like to see the work but cannot sit still long enough to watch ;)

Still doing an edit on the hinge video, not sure I had the battery to catch it all, but this is the 90% finished product to match with the braces
Hope to see them on the clients new chest soon, then to build my own hah!
post-7113-0-54280600-1332907803_thumb.jp
post-7113-0-59385900-1332907821_thumb.jp

The hot cut got a lot of attention on here but i really hope the folks new to smithing noticed other things: HIs elbow stayed in close to his body..he moved his hips to keep the work right in front of him, He did not reach out to work he moved so he kept things in the right place. He used heats real well and before going back in the fire he took the flares off of the piece. When he pulled the piece from the fire he knew exactly wot he was going to do and did it. That is a huge key to forging..And it does come with practice. I expect if the view was wide angle we wouild see just a little bend in the knees to make moves easy. Great Video,,Thanks

I have to note one thing I picked up out of the video good hammer control. Watch the tong hand it is very steady and that means good controlled hammer blows. I really like the high speed for the reason others stated if you have the experience you can see it take shape without having to wait. Great job, and I like the hinges also.