I Forge Iron

Glass picket rail

Why don't you just go ahed and shoot me now. Glutton for punishment I decided to put in 3-10' balconies before I leave for Nashville. Don't much care for the white but it's not my house. Hand formed glass, aluminum turnings, steel pickets and top bottom plates. Now I just have to finish the stair, ugh!

post-2769-0-15543400-1332079567_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-17062200-1332079582_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-13145200-1332079594_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-44775200-1332079613_thumb.jp

No reflection on you Mike, but that is one hideous rail.... :P......When all is said and done that money will blend nicely with the other money in your account with no prejudice......At present I'd forge a mud railing if I had the chance :D

yeah! no kids in that house!... i actually dont mind it - quite alice in wonderland, i take more offence at the very sober paint scheme... imagine those glass bits against a far more colourful backdrop - circus tent sweet shop style :) that would suit me better. michael, your one busy man....! :)

the white defiantly fits the house but the concept looks like it was executed well.

But that opens a whole new door, I never heard of such a thing. That scarecase would make me say some choice words.

Does it get the same details like the landing? Anything big going on for the post at the bottom? I see a hole there.

Well this is proof of the old saying; "money doesn't buy class".
You've done a good job with it I must say. The glass is interesting. I sure hope they never have kids (hotwheels, rollerskates etc...) because that could be just plain dangerous.
Hey, use the money to get yourself that Smithing tool you've always wanted.

Things like that usually makes me say "My what a wonderful check that must be". Are they tempered glass? If so they may be quite stout. Taking on jobs like that shows that you are a *professional* rather than possibly an artist. A professional will do great work to spec. An artist may complain that it isn't right. Guess which one runs consistently in the black!

Mike, I can only imagine the railing you could have created for a client that is willing to spend over $1,250 a ft in pickets alone, Imo a railing for a home should have some measure of warmth. There are not many jobs that get offered for that kind of money and when they are put in the column of; ''that one got away'', oh well, it smarts, but that one did kinda get away. Better luck next time, can't wait to see it...... :)

LED retrofit, Nice! Additional light can be provided by small direct units, I was leaning toward plating, nickel was my favorite. I saw a phone video of the square slump of glass 4"x4" on a table that was stretched, twisted then straightened and annealed. I am not convinced it violates any code issues, would there be any you would test?

Well there are load requirements for railings. I remember hearing that it was 250 lbs point load to pass, we only work in steel so it is not really an issue. Would one of those glass balusters withstand 250 lbs of weight I don't know. I think it is a very interesting project by the way. I just wonder how some of these rails pass inspection. I have built a few over the years that I still wonder about.

• 1 month later...

Michael,

Really outstanding work as usual. Very unique job and it looks like you worked it out to a T.

Despite the badmouthing of your client's design and style from some of the other posters (lets hope they treat their own clients with a little more respect), I think that you've made it a perfect fit for the location.

Please make sure to post pics of that staircase installation!