I Forge Iron

chrome tools

matto

i have a client that brought in some of her dads old wrenches and wants me to make something out of them for her. they are all chromed. i know what i will make, my question is do you have to remove the chrome plating before forging or can you just start forging them? what are the dangers of forging a chrome tool ( off gas, ect...). i think heating them to forging temp will get rid of the chrome just want to take some precaution.

Where does he reference Matco? I believe he's just asking what kind of precautions he should take in heating chromed metal. Seems like a legitimate question to me, especially on a site that is all about safety.

I don't know the answer, but I'm sure someone here in the know will be willing to help you.

Do not put those in your forge. Here's a link to the wikipedia article on hexavalent chromium: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexavalent_chromium

I'm sure she wants those wrenches because they were her fathers, so it's probably no good suggesting the use of similar, unplated tools. I've never looked into it but maybe someone will know of a chemical method to remove the plating, which would probably be your best bet if you're set on doing this job. If she was alright with it you could grind off the plating, outdoors, wearing a respirator, but honestly I would just turn down the job. Chrome is really really nasty stuff, and exposure to it as dust or fumes is not worth whatever you will be paid.

Where does he reference Matco?

oops my dyslexia is at it again, the posters name is matto I saw matco and got it stuck in my head....

The answers to chome and other plating metals are posted in the safety section, which I assumed one would have read if they wanted to know so I didnt repeat it, but rather gave alternative ideas.

Thanks all for your info, most of the tools are buffalo and different tractor makes. Tried to do searches on the topic but could not get any hits that is why I asked the question. Thomas I will be inventive and post pictures when done.

I collect old non-plated wrenches to play around with. My favorite is the one that fits the propane tank for my gas forge. I forged the other end down into a "grotesque" and call it my "Tyrannosaurus Wrench" I always know which one it is and which end to use! makes a talking point with people too as many demo's out here are restricted to propane forges due to "draconian" fire regulations.

Hmmm do they have an old wood stove, a wrench could be made into a lid lifter fairly easily---perhaps even cold.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You can have them sandblasted to clean them down to the steel. Optionally, you can buy a power supply and the correct alkaline chemical for electrolyitic removal. I'd go with sandblasting.

If you have enough, and a local plater, you can ask about "unplating" or stripping the plate by running the electricity in reverse. The plater may pay for the chrome if there is enough of it by weight, as the chrome will be completely recovered.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So is there truly much of a risk in putting the chrome plated wrenchs in the forge fire? I am unclear.

I read the Hexivalent Chromium stuff linked above but that did not make me feel like this stuff was deadly. I felt more like that this stuff is not something you want to be around for extended periods. Smoking is carcinogenic but one pack of cigarettes isn't going to put you in the hospital or even close to it. So Carcinogenic alone doesn't mean avoid like the plague.

Folks who weld stainless for example don't wear respirators. They might be welding all day long on stainless.

So is there a real short term risk here or not?

Actually a lot of folks welding weld without respirators---even when they should! Parkinson's and a bunch of other diseases have been correlated to welding fumes. Just because something won't kill you *today* is not a good reason to ignore it.

Me I want to live a long time so my wife and I can be the scandal of the old folks home and a shock and shame for the great grand kids to be...

• 3 months later...

I once read a great summary of a position I agree with when it comes to forging unknown steels. If it doesn't rust, don't trust.

I once worked for a guy who spent his youth as the maintenance electrician for a factory that chrome plated vehicle interior trim. Tanks of various heated poisons were constantly corroding the electrically actuated racks that dipped, and moved the pieces around. He spent much of his time wire brushing the oxidation off without a respirator.

He had a quarter of one lung's worth of working tissue when I met him. His voice never rose above a whisper and he was winded by sitting down. The effects of his five year tenure at that factory didn't fully reveal themselves until he was fifteen years removed.

There wasn't much to be done for him. Toting your own oxygen tank in such a condition isn't a bright prospect. He died young and left behind a destitute wife.

Unfortunately I met a brilliant finish carpenter who's fate was quite the same only he had inhaled sawdust.

Just isn't worth it.- I'd rather wear the respirator.