I Forge Iron

show me your destroyed anvil!

man ists crazy how much people will charge for for anvil thats been rode hard and putaway wet. my girl friend and i went to an auction in central IL last year, i had 500 bucks on me and i was shocked how much the broken anvils were. people always seem to put crazy prices on anvil, especially folks who dont know about them, they are just like "hey i have this nice old antique anvil its a hundred pounds must be worth 500 dolllars. It took me about a year of CONSTANT craigslist and auctions to get a good deal. I was so excited when i did. i got a 90lbs and 150lbs peter wright in nice condition for 250$ it kept a smile on my face for weeks.

Fe-Wood, I agree with everyone else...looks like a Fisher. If it's old enough it could be a "Southern Fisher". According to "Anvils in America", after the Civil War the southerners didn't want to buy Fisher anvils because of the union eagle on the side. Fisher removed the eagle from the anvils they sold down south. Postman says they may have done this as late as the the begining of the 20th century. I would love to have an "eagle-less" Fisher!
Just a point of information about the Fisher mounting lugs: They first appeared on Fisher anvils in 1892, 27 years after the end of the conflict. And the lack of the Eagle on the some Fisher anvil being related to marketing is still only a RUMOR. There has been no established documentation of this found. If anyone has historical documentation, please produce it. Everything in AIA is not correct. That is why Mr. Postman has produced a revised edition with a lot of corrections, including many I sent him about the Fisher family. He will be releasing this edition eventually. Hopefully I will finish my book about the Fisher family and company with all the facts I have gathered.

Here are a few pictures of my first anvil (the one I dug out of my inlaw's property). No edges to speak of. When I found it, it looked like somebody had been cold-forging rebar for many years. not knowing a thing about blacksmithing, but being eager to get started, I borrowed my father-in-law's 7-inch grinder with huge stone cup and removed all the rebar markings. I then filed the top flat.
I used this one for a year until I "upgraded" to my current russian submarine from HF - with the diagonal hardie hole (pita because all my hardie tools have to be custom made - ALL of them)

post-734-0-40655700-1328105824_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-73820700-1328105841_thumb.jpg

Frick that is a Fisher logo on that first anvil and it has the Fisher mounting lugs, aare you sure that's a picture of your "Trenton"? The second one would still hold a hardy tool---or a shop door, NM is windy especially in the spring and any swinging door has to be solidly held open...I usually use a large screw press and a large house jack... Anyone want to see if SOFA would like to put a "Destroyed Anvil" display on at Quad-State this year? I probably can't go but then I've drug most of my bad ones out there before...

Oops! Yes, of course that is my Fisher. Had Trenton on the brain for some reason. I corrected my "typo"

Just a point of information about the Fisher mounting lugs: They first appeared on Fisher anvils in 1892, 27 years after the end of the conflict. And the lack of the Eagle on the some Fisher anvil being related to marketing is still only a RUMOR. There has been no established documentation of this found. If anyone has historical documentation, please produce it. Everything in AIA is not correct. That is why Mr. Postman has produced a revised edition with a lot of corrections, including many I sent him about the Fisher family. He will be releasing this edition eventually. Hopefully I will finish my book about the Fisher family and company with all the facts I have gathered.

I realize that there are probably mistakes and just because something is in print doesn't nessarily mean it's true BUT just because something isn't documented doesn't necessarily make it false either. IF it is true, it wouldn't make any difference if the anvil is post 1892 because Postman says that the practice could have lasted as late as the beginning of the 20th century. I choose to believe it is true...we're pretty funny down here in the south! :D It's too bad there is no documentation one way or the other. Thanks of the info on the lugs.

My Blacker Powerhammer Fisher has no Logo on it. Still works fine.

Demid: Wow that one where they tried to repair the broken heal using butterflies is wild! I love seeing stuff like that. My loaner anvil missing the heel has a prosthetic hardy hole added to it.

Thank you for your message. This anvil find archaeologists at a depth of one meter. She stood at the bottom of the pit, the top was a layer of brick, and then all filled up with earth. At this place were located the historic settlement of the 18th century.

• 3 years later...

I think you are being a bit picky Aus, a tiny hammer mark like that shouldn't put you off. I read on a blacksmiths forum called I-forge something or other that a gentle peen around the dent will clean the surface up nicely.

I think you are being a bit picky Aus, a tiny hammer mark like that shouldn't put you off. I read on a blacksmiths forum called I-forge something or other that a gentle peen around the dent will clean the surface up nicely.

​You forget that it also needs wire brushing and a dab of oil!:D if you don't do that it'll never look the part.