I Forge Iron

Flint Striker Material

No. Nowhere near 100 points of carbon, like a file (worn out chainsaw files are great) or spring harrow tooth or garage door spring or grain auger coil.

Simple test to gauge carbon content and hardenability for unknown alloys. Heat a thin section (under 1/4") to slightly above non-magnetic, immediately quench in cold water. Wrap it in a rag and wear your safety glasses, stick one end in the vise and whack sideways with hammer. If it snaps cleanly, it is high carbon/low alloy. If it bends and then breaks, it may be useful for impact tools like axes and chisels. If it just bends, it is low carbon.

for strikers i like garage door springs (as mentioned above) and also potatoe digger rods . they are usually 3/8 or 1/2 in rnd and asking at the manafacture i learned they are currently using 5160 . forge to square and your set!just about any spring steel should work ...I oil harden mine so i dont get breaks . was water hardening but had breakage .

Thanks, guys. For some reason, garage door springs didn't even cross my mind. CRS (Can't Remember Squat), perhaps? I tried ripping leaf springs with a plasma cutter, hence the time consuming part. It worked, but left a rough edge. Since we have an overhead door company in town, I'll call them Monday. Thanks again!

I've always used those cheap screwdrivers you can find at flea markets and "dollar bins". Depending on how long the shaft is, and the design of the striker, you can get two strikers from one driver shaft. That's mighty cheap strikers when you consider the screwdriver usually doesn't run more than a buck to begin with!

Like others have said, don't temper the striker. I've never been able to get tempered steel to throw a shower of sparks, but only-hardened strikers work great.

Harrow spikes are high C and about those dimensions---depending on the type.

In OH we mainly used hay rake tines and old potato digger bars (the old were generally 1095 the new may be 5160) Boteh could be found for sale at Quad-State generally.

Ohio has been famous for it's flint since Pre-Columbian times! (Native American tribes had a peace accord allowing access to the flint areas!) Flint Ridge State Park for example. You can't scavenge flint from the park but there were a lot of places selling it around the park last time I visited.

If you are cutting up garage door spring, slide it over something like a broomstick and clamp the last coil in your vise with the stick, then run up it with a thin cutoff disk on your angle grinder. Work slowly so you don't get bouncing (breaks up the disk). A stick can help here on the outside too. The spring cuts surprisingly quickly, and a single round is a good starting size for a lot of different things.

If you cut up more than one spring at a time, keep each spring's coils separate until you test harden samples of both to make sure they act the same.

Phil

We just had to order 4" tins(down to four) for strikers..Lisa bought flint off of ebay.Got like 15-16 pounds for like 27$ shipped..Its fun to just set and knp flint for a while..
I have always just picked up good used files from the flea market..Like Nicholson and Black Diamond. Then spend a while forging them down to striker sized material(under the LG)..Lately they have kinda dried up..Then went thru all my used files..So this time i happen to find a place selling a 36", 7/8" thick W-1 drill rod for $23 shipped to my door :D Thats real cheap and will make a bunch of strikers..