I Forge Iron

Demo tool box

jeremy k

Are these hinges or latches? I like where this is going...I didn't see it earlier.

Yes...wheels. Very important. A hand truck is a good choice too. Some iron strakes across the bottom would both protect the box and make hooking with a hand truck easy.

Phil

Even if I was to fill it with a solid block of steel that fills the whole box , including the box itself will still be less than 600lbs. So - I think a few prs of tongs and a few hammers and handfull of misc. items needed for doing basic demos is well within "Not" needing wheels, - refer to the begining posts on size - that's why I didn't make it that big to begin with, I want to be able to carry it myself.

Talk about a patients tester -
I have got started on a branch for the box lid hinge. Leaves are forged from 3/8 inch round and the branch is 1/2 inch round tapered and textured. Slow process this is - as the leaves are forge welded together and forge welded onto the branch. I'm not happy with some of the vein texturing fading away during the welding but maybe I can touch that up later when all the leaves are attached??? hopefully! You can see the groove that the "tong" will grip on the left side of the first picture.

post-280-0-52764000-1334617040_thumb.jpg

post-280-0-31457000-1334617068_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jeremy - once finished that tool box is going to be a prime portfolio piece for you at demo's. One of those "What have I done and what can I do. Well look here at my tool box!" Should draw a number of potential customers your way.

I'm very impressed with the cleverness and uniqueness of using tongs as lid latches.

Don

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...