I Forge Iron

Demo tool box

jeremy k

Ok - Now here's the tool box all done, I stained, clear coated, black glazed, clear coated and clear coated again......done. The hardware will start to be made now, being the box has nothing more to be done to it. Soon - Soon I say, Soon.

post-280-0-19866400-1329352215_thumb.jpg

post-280-0-33266300-1329352234_thumb.jpg

post-280-0-73740000-1329352255_thumb.jpg

Here's a drawing of what I'm triing to achieve with leaves and branches on the top of the tool box lid. This is a preliminary drawing and the final forgings will have to be adjusted a little for actual leaf sizes and latch placement. I personally think this has a few to many leaves but this is what I'm after.

post-280-0-01385600-1329883236_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture of the first of a bunch of groups of leaves for the box lid. These are leaves forged from 3/8" round and forge welded to a 3/8" round stem. This is going to be a big bite to chew making everything like I'm thinking without burning things up during the process - very good test of patients.

post-280-0-17636100-1329954143_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got a little time to work on some things for the tool box again, Here is the test "poz tongs" I made for sizing comparison for the box hinges. The tongs are 8-1/2 " total length from 1/4 " x 3/4 " flat. I am pleased with this actual size, so I'll make a couple that are a bit more pleasing to the eye (my eye) anyway. This sized tongs will be mounted to the back of the box and will hold the branch of leaves for the the hinge. The branch will pivot in the jaws of the tongs.

post-280-0-88199700-1331689191_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well -
I'm still working on things...exploring new ideas and such that will relate to my tool boxes - please bear with me, it's taking me a bit longer to chew the bite I took. So - with that said..... here is a sample board I did with some leafed lettering - just in case I decide to do some fancy lettering on one of the boxes. The leaf is a copper that has been heated to supply some coloring to it - figured that would be more fitting for a blacksmith. The sample prooved to be to my satisfaction, I have a couple other sample boards to practice on before actually attacking a box. These sample boards can be used in the future for a 2 legged sign that these wood parts will hang from so it's not a lost cause. The sign will be a decorative frame with "Blacksmith" hanging from the top and my name below it. Like I said this is usable practice parts for a potential box lettering. Here's a few pics of that process - applying leaf, and free hand black outlining. The box that may get some lettering like this will be a dark box, so it' will contrast more than the sample show here. Also the other samples I have to use for the sign are darker too so it will show up much better - this first one was just a practice run to try things. Be patient - I will get one done!!!! - just getting side tracked with options.

post-280-0-98850800-1332455251_thumb.jpg

post-280-0-55829300-1332455271_thumb.jpg

post-280-0-12768700-1332455290_thumb.jpg

post-280-0-72254200-1332457786_thumb.jpg

This is the start of the hinges,
"Poz Tongs" style made from 1/4 " x 3/4 " flat stock, a 12 " scale is along side the set - finished they will be about were the fold in the cardboard is (8-1/2 "). A little adjustment needs to be done for final fitting and rivet, and mounting plates.

post-280-0-12041900-1332561176_thumb.jpg

post-280-0-21223100-1332561455_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well,
I finally got some time to work on this again, started the hinge backing plates (3/16 inch plate) these are what the mini tongs will be mounted to. - only fitting for a blacksmith I thought. More pics as I proceed.

post-280-0-71981900-1333847758_thumb.jpg

OK, This might come across as a flame (pun intended) but your flame is too regular. The wisps are all neatly and regularly spaced...

I like where you are going and what you have is nice and acceptable the way it is, but I know you can make it look better, more natural and fire-like.

Maybe forging out the flames a bit would be the ticket?

Phil

Sorry Phil -
I'm a bit anal with symmetry sometimes, plus it's just the back of the box :D Also the lid will have 2 branches and yes they will be somewhat symmetrical.
I suppose I could have made one end of the box rounded too....LOL

post-280-0-12550700-1333855276_thumb.jpg

jk it looks splendid !! i understand what phil is saying, but this is a different look your going for, it is indeed on a symmetrical box, and the whole decoration/look so far has been like this, i think its going to have a look all of its own, and will reflect you, the maker. i love the red hot flame picture :) gorgeous :) happy easter JK :) happy easter all!

That looks a lot better than just cut having some texture and shape to the flames. I think some asymmetry looks good, but there is nothing wrong with having it symmetrical.

I thought for a moment that you had a mantle piece over your side draft! How you are holding it lines up perfectly and it is scaled neat.

Phil

Today I made more progress,
I finished the mini tongs(8-1/4 inches long total), and mounting plates, now to make a couple small 3/16 inch chain links for the tong clips and some straps to hold the tong reins to the mounting plate. The hole in the jaws of the tongs is for the groove that will be in the branches - this will be were the branch pivots as a hinge.

post-280-0-29003000-1333931140_thumb.jpg