I Forge Iron

Show me your truck!

Current hauler is a 2001 Dodge HO Cummins 1ton dually 4x4 6spd extended cab. 243,000 miles so far. After this truck I am a devout follower of Rudolf Diesel. Power, and good fuel mileage. I have several trailers that I tow with it; 12' double axle , 19' double axle car trailer, 31" Airstream, 18' double axle deckover, and a 40' triple axle. All are bumper pulls. I will be setting the truck up for a 5th wheel, and goose neck adapter soon to expand my capabilities.

Past, and semi current vehicles used to haul stuff.
66 GMC 3/4 ton 4spd with 305 V-6. Dad bought new with almost every option available. 200K +
77 Pinto wagon had over 100K when it went away
72 F250 4x4 4spd -up for sale with unknown mileage-odo was broke when I bought it.
1967 M-715 military 1.25 ton Jeep 4x4. 230 cid OHC Tornado engine, and 5.86 gears with 28K original miles
1998 Saturn SW2 wagon - my main commuter that finally needs an engine rebuild at 293,000+ miles. I can tell you that a Kenmore Elite 30" double convection oven is the largest item that you can get into the back of one of these. 55gallon drums easily fit too.

2.3L diesel

John, you guys are so lucky to be able to get small diesel trucks across the pond, It's impossible here.....The low end torque, the superior mileage and longjevity of those motors is something we here (at lease yours truly) would love in a small to midsize truck and why they're not at least imported here is beyond me....... :(

John, you guys are so lucky to be able to get small diesel trucks across the pond, It's impossible here.....The low end torque, the superior mileage and longjevity of those motors is something we here (at lease yours truly) would love in a small to midsize truck and why they're not at least imported here is beyond me....... :(

No Kidding!

Isuzu used to sell a diesel light truck.

Yeah, mid 80's I recall. My brother in still drives it wih 300,000 mi on it! The thing is rotting away around the engine and is THE most gutless thing I,ve ever driven. When he bought it new he opted not toget the turbo for a few hundred extra......

This used to be my driver while in college and during my mid 20's, I've been restoring it now for over 15 years and have put over 20k into it, so now it's just attention grabber when I need to meet a client or run around from job to job in the summer.

Gotta love them early Broncos!
Mines not as nice as yours, but it serves my purposes nicely.

post-12358-0-61884300-1326659512_thumb.j

Judson-
Look at the cummins diesel. On my last trip I got an average of 22.5 MPG. this included around town and travel speeds of 75mph. The average was over about 2k miles. I've considered trading to a Tacoma but I use the pulling power of the cummins to much...FWIW...

Judson-
Look at the cummins diesel. On my last trip I got an average of 22.5 MPG. this included around town and travel speeds of 75mph. The average was over about 2k miles. I've considered trading to a Tacoma but I use the pulling power of the cummins to much...FWIW...

Fewood, I never seem to get that kind of mileage with my Cummins. I hear people talk about it all the time. I guess I'm kicking in the turbo to much. I usually only get about 18 to 19 hwy and 15 to 16 in the city but thats 4wd too. Still good for a big truck. I'm running a modified air box with open exhaust with a 5" stack also.

Fewood, I never seem to get that kind of mileage with my Cummins. I hear people talk about it all the time. I guess I'm kicking in the turbo to much. I usually only get about 18 to 19 hwy and 15 to 16 in the city but thats 4wd too. Still good for a big truck. I'm running a modified air box with open exhaust with a 5" stack also.

Mine is 4X4 all stock. I get those numbers around town. I'm also gentle on the pedal. How many miles you got. I didn't start getting that kind of milage until I hit 50K or more. I'm at 190K now and it purrs going down the road and doen't burn a drop of oil. I had a 6.9 Ford a while back that needed a quart of oil at every fill up :(

Mine is 4X4 all stock. I get those numbers around town. I'm also gentle on the pedal. How many miles you got. I didn't start getting that kind of milage until I hit 50K or more. I'm at 190K now and it purrs going down the road and doen't burn a drop of oil. I had a 6.9 Ford a while back that needed a quart of oil at every fill up :(

I only have 33,000 on mine and it's a 2006. Not even broke in. Some have told me once I get more miles on it I will get better mileage. I can't believe it but it looks like you may be right.

Here is my 2008 Colorado on a buying run. Try and fiqure out what is in the back.

Hmmm... Looks like a diamond plate tool box, Ludwig drum set, Complete Samsonite luggage set. weight lifting bench, three motorcycles (Suzuki, Honda and a Norton), parrot cage, Evinrude outboard boat motor, one pair Bauer size 10 hockey skates, weedwhacker, set of jack stands, 100 ft extension cord, ouija board, two fishin' rods, lucky rabbit's foot, Louisville Slugger baseball bat, bundle of roofing shingles, AC/DC concert ticket stub from '79, and the main landing gear from a Sopwith Camel.

Did I miss anything? :)

My old truck was a '70 GMC 1/2 ton long bed, 350 with a four speed manual. Good old truck but it went the way of my power hammer, gone but not forgotten. Now I have an '88 Chevy crew cab, 1 ton, long bed, 454 with an automatic transmission but at least this one has air conditioning for a whimpy old man. Gets a lot worse gas mileage though, only 8mpg instead of 14mpg.

My old truck was an 01 cummins 3500 with a welding deck and I wasn't too impressed withthe diesel. My new truck is a 07 Sierra 3500 crew cab long box gas. I much prefer the gas and I get the same power and mileage as my old cummins. The new diesels are better tho I'm told