I Forge Iron

Massey 2 cwt 'Clear Space' Hammer

I have mentioned a few times on this forum that the Massey 'Clear Space' Hammers have very good single blow control (like the steam hammers) - I have recently installed a fully restored 2 cwt (110 kg ram) Machine for my own use (actually this one is going to a customer, but I have another one which will take its place on the foundation) This is quite an upgrade from the 33lb Anyang I have been using as 'my' hammer for the last 4 years :D

I only put the power leads to the motor yesterday, and was having a play last night. This video is just to demonstrate the control (I was impressed so took a video!) When I get to know the machine a little better I will try again with the watch 'hard' on the anvil!!

I will put update this thread with some forging videos when the installation is complete. (the hammer is not quite finished yet, all the external bits are going for chrome, and the paints not finished yet.)

http://youtu.be/RZDyjiOGv2Q

very nice control! so steam hammers traditionally control like this? i have another thread, to gain steam hammer info, so as not to hijack this one, http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/24983-ufsh-unidentified-flying-steam-hammer/
it will be good to see your #2 forging, when you put some more videos up!

No, no Larry. Wrong approach. In the interest of fair, just and acceptable, he should send us one! That would fix everything. We could all post videos, equalizing the suffering across oceans. I humbly volunteer some valuable floor space in my shop, plus I'm closer to England than 95% of the smiths in the USA thus providing John great savings in the shipping costs. In fact, we should all start sending John our spare postage stamps, in a few years he should have enough to plaster the thing with them and mail it to our east coast. ;)

Go to machinetools.com > forging machines > forging hammers. You will be in hammer heaven with Beche, Alldays, Massey, and dozens of others located all over the world and priced just enticingly attractive enough to make you want to load up a boat. Remember ocean freight is fairly reasonable. Everyone could have his very own fine and impressive machine and the world would be free of machine envy.

Tommy

There is some slick valving inside the Massey 'Clear Space' - It pumps up an internal air resovoir which is then used for the single blows. This type of hammer was made with ram weights up to #4500 lbs.

This is a 10 cwt (#1100lb) we overhauled earlier this year, you can see the relationship between hand lever and ram motion a bit better on this clip. (tempory 'anvil' for test purposes!)

http://youtu.be/IagkeQSzVWc

Looks great John.

How long does it normally take to rebuild an old massey then?

Incidentally, do you know why the 3 cwt has so much more 'blow energy' than the 2 cwt? I would have thought it would be about 50% more, but its 450 kgm versus 200 kgm?

Cheers, Al.

• 1 year later...