I Forge Iron

Since I watched the video ( wantabe-?) posted by Sask Mark, the masters words have been bouncing around the empty portals of my skull. I have decided to do the same. I have taken an unspoiled student.......A sponge.....to pour my limited Knowledge into. The Master in the video had a valid point,
if you don't strive to make someone better than you, it may contribute to the demise of our craft. So I hope to start posting the progress of my "sponge" . Anyone else care to join in ?....take a raw wannabe and mold him/her into a future smith ?....free of charge ?. At first, my sponge will only get a few hours a week, but he's willing and able.....kind of bright too ! !. First I will teach him to make what ever his itch is.....then get down to business,...how to use tools... how to make tools that make tools to do what the job is... and go from there. It should be interesting....how will you ever know if the chosen one will stick it out ? There is no way to know, except by trying.

Egos ? you want to talk egos ? I thought I all that when I passed the journeyman's test...I later learned it only allows you to hang out in the same shop with the Master Smiths....and you aren't all that good yet, now thats humbling. They would elbow you out of the way.....here, here, here...whada doon ?....do him lika dis, you see.? samadda you eh ? how you get here ?

respect to you smithy for your generous attitude - go for it! im definately interested in reading about how that goes along.... i certainly dont know enough to take on anyone to teach! the very thought makes my toes curl, BUT if and when i do have some properly learned thoroughly learned info to pass on, then that would be fab. how old is your apprentice? he/she is a very lucky individual. also, i love and highly rate, how your going to let him scratch an itch FIRST before the 'proper' learning begins - thats such a positive approach, and , again very generous, and , i might add, quite an unusually ego- less stance which will help everyone , look forward to seeing how it goes :)

I have two sponges right now. One is 59 the other is 62. I have been working with them for about one year. One works at it almost everyday the other part time. There is a old saying, " You can't teach a old dog new tricks. " In my case teaching is not the problem. Getting them to remember is. :rolleyes:

I also hold open forges once a month through the AABA and have gotten some young enthusiastic people come in. They soak up the knowlege like a sponge and have been coming back each month for more. It is very gratifying to teach and spread knowledge to people. I really need to work at my own skills so I may pass on more.

• 1 month later...

@ "stewartthesmith" I agree full hardedly. I an a student under a smith my self and he often comments that I look to much as a slave or servant. I have no problem with how others see me since I know what I am and why I act the way I do. I would rather run and get him a drink, go sort through the piles of scrap, lift the anvils, crawl on the floor to clean, bend over and pick up everything that falls to the ground so that he can keep healthy and working. Why, becase when I am broken [sitting with my hand in ice water after clearing a "cold" piece of iron while cleaning out the coal forge, standing around resting my arm from loving that one handed sledge hammer too much, holding the burnt unconsolidated remains of my layered billet as he demos how easy it would be if I used the proper heat, just some examples from recent meory.] I can still watch, listen and learn.

I an greatful for the opprotunity to learn and am as modest as he will let me be. He will from time to time remind me that I am a student not an endentured servant and I should act like it. But I will maintain that huminity and wonderment while nursing my mistakes so that I wont make them again. I don't have to worry about forgeting them since he won't let me.That and my real world obligations, he keeps track of those too and uses his teaching and time in the forge like a carrot at the end of the stick so I can succed in both.

Thom
Slave to the lady, minion to the master.
PS I should also mentiopn that he teaches me philosophy and treats me with grandmotherly kindness. I am sure he will give ne a ration of it when he finds this post and more of the same if he finds it in bad taste or in error.

You may already know this, but I thought a short review might not hurt. In any apprenticeship in any field, it is best to start slow and work on all the foundation skills, even if he is not interested in that aspect. That should keep you and him busy. Challenge him when he appears to be bored, and look for the time when you think he needs to take the next step even if it is a little to big of a step for him. He will grow into it and it will keep his mind active. Let him try things after you demonstrate it. It may look easy to him, but trying it is another ball game. Enjoy his learning process. Each student has their own speed and skill set. And most of all, have fun with the process. He should pick up your enthusiasm and that might be one of the best learning tools.

I would add one thing to SoCal Dave's statment, from time to time challenge them by giving them something you haven't demonstrated, or demonstrated fully, so they can try to figure out how to do it. This can be as simple as handing them something that has been made and telling them to make one. This chalanges their eye (to look at a peice and see what was done) and the mind (I have seen what they did but: why, how and in what order). It makes it a puzzle and more ingaging, at least thats how I see it. I've used it quite a bit when teaching people skills other then smithing.

And just discussing the how, why and history of different processes with Blacksmiths has quickly become one of my favorate past times.

Thom; I see pineapple twists in your future! Pattern welded ones! With *sprinkles*!

I hope to spend Saturday morning at the scrapyard and afternoon at the forge---wanna come along?

And yes Thom is my apprentice in the formal SCA sense. Minion in a Evil Overlord Sense and a good friend.

• 3 months later...

Hi I am a hobbyist, but I make bottle openers a lot like that one, except on the wide end of the spike I make a Dragonhead and draw out the tip of the spike to make a tail which is then curled back to make a little resting place for the thumb.
Speaking to the topic, it is interesting how similar the disciple/student aspect is to what I do for my living, yet also how different.

Larry, anyone lucky enough to be your apprentice will surly be a great addition to the craft if he grows into being even close to the same kind of smith his teacher is.
Here`s to you, your giving nature and your passion for the craft.