I Forge Iron

new pot rack

FieryFurnace

number three for me

Not a commission. Just a display piece for shows.

DSC03367.jpg

What would be the technical name for a curve like this?
DSC03371.jpg

The tenons were done cold as I do not have a torch and there was no way to do them hot. I took time to square the sholders by filing, and it took about five minutes to tweak the whole thing after the tenons were set. It was VERY CLOSE to perfect!
DSC03372.jpg

DSC03373.jpg

You can fit fourteen sliding hooks on this thing.
DSC03374.jpg

DSC03376.jpg

DSC03379.jpg

DSC03378.jpg

Thoughts???

Two days of work, $10.00 materials, I may ask about $250 for it.
2 feet long, 1 foot wide, the hooks are for display hanging but the rack will come with customized chain length for hanging. Current hook length is about 10-12 inches
Finish is 80 grit then 220 grit sandpaper with Krylon glossy clear coat. The dark unsanded areas have graphite powder beneath the clear coat.

Good job, Dave! The ends look like lambs tongues to me. Like on the end of a railing? A lot of people make these with links or rods that swing. I had clients complain about that so started making a solid mounting from the rack to the ceiling. You still have to mount it to the ceiling so I did twisted bars or decorated flat stock solid mounted from the rack and bolted into the ceiling. Some of them didn't have a beam lined up with the posts so I made a flat ceiling frame that attached to the beams and the rack mounted to that. Just another idea.

Thanks for the input and complements.

I got the "lamb's tongue" idea from my recent class at John C Campbell. That's what the guy called them there too. However, I was hoping for a better sounding name for it. :D

The top of the hanging hooks are open loops so that a chain link can be slipped on without difficulty.

This is my sample that I will display for shows, although it will be for sale as well. Most of the time, it draws the eye and gets inquiries. I usually keep larger pieces like this out at shows to shew people that I can do more than hooks. It increases the possibility of custom orders and creates confidence in my ability.

The "design" as it were, is simply an idea. No drawing, no lay out, no precise forging. Jus something I thought about for a while, I got tired of making hooks, and kazam.....two days later there was a pot rack. :D

Hey Dave,

That curve on the tapered inscribed flat stock looks a lot like a corn leaf to me, maybe that would go over better.

Just curious as to why you didn't use curls on the tapered end of the pot hooks? Would they have gotten in the way of getting the handles of pots and pans on the hooks?

Great looking piece!

It would make a perfect hanger display for some hand forged ladles. . .

Caleb Ramsby

Hey Dave,

That curve on the tapered inscribed flat stock looks a lot like a corn leaf to me, maybe that would go over better.

Just curious as to why you didn't use curls on the tapered end of the pot hooks? Would they have gotten in the way of getting the handles of pots and pans on the hooks?

Great looking piece!

It would make a perfect hanger display for some hand forged ladles. . .

Caleb Ramsby

I did an even diameter round hook without the final scroll because people THINK it will get in the way. For the majority of pots it would not, however, people are hesitant about hooks with finial scrolls. In the past I have done a dull taper without the finial, however, it just doesn't seem to look right. These look a little better, while still being small.

Hey Dave,

Maybe you could make a hook or two with GIANT mushroom heads on them to make the finial scrolled hooks look smaller, you could say they are for holding doughnuts. HA! Hummm, blacksmithing out of spite, maybe not the wisest idea!

I thought that I remembered some photos that you posted of your first or second rack and the hooks having a finial, that was why I was asking.

Unfortunatly it is more often how people think something will work that dictates the design, more so then if it will actually work or not.

Caleb Ramsby

Hi Dave, Good job, Here's another alternative hook end for you, could be bent outwards a tad more depending on the height at which the hanger is going to be positioned,

post-816-0-12416700-1321608952_thumb.jpg

this one was quite low, attached with offset brackets to a beam,

post-816-0-16752200-1321609720_thumb.jpg

with these short hanger hooks

post-816-0-84068300-1321609655_thumb.jpg

Some alternative ideas for you.

I know new smiths can be a bit of a thorn for professional smiths with many years experience because of the pricing issue.

I wish, I really wish, that I could demand the higher prices that are obtained by other smiths, but the bottom line is, I currently don't have the clientel. Perhaps I'll eventually obtain that higher clientel and be able to choose jobs and require those higher prices, but now is not that time.

My goal is to never underprice or steal clients from other blacksmiths who can better serve and deserve those clients more than I do anyway. My goal is to establish a business, and I do not believe that I can start a business by jumping onto the top rung of the ladder.

I'm still down here at ground level, and must charge accordingly.

I hope everyone understands, and will not hold that against me.

Hey Dave,

Caleb Ramsby

Corn leaf sounds good. To me lamb's tongues is in the same group as calling a finial scroll a rats tail.

Just doesn't sound all that great!

Corn leaf! I like it!

Nice work.

How did you do the wraps without a torch? Man, you could use a torch. I might have one I could sell. It's the bottle's though, huh?

Well put thoughts on your price schedule. One thing I hear from people is "I can't expect my clients to pay for my education" and I think that's rubbish. You are doing exactly that and it seems everybody's happy.