I Forge Iron

Pesky Neighbor

Sounds like "Trouble in Paradise" (sorry had to do it) Code enforcement can be a pain, they came through my neighbor hood a few years back and got every one that had broken down cars in their driveway. They got me for a car in the driveway that I had a non-op on, it ran but was not registered. They also tagged me for a carport type tent that I had behind the fence in the driveway. I had 3 days to fix the "Violations" or the would levy a fine, like $300 per item. I had to insure the car and register it and I took down the tent and covered the stuff with a tarp. I saw the code enforcement guy come around about a week later to see that everyone complied, he drove by looking and taking notes.

That's rough. So, no fines in the end then?

One of a top rules of living in the country is "Never get into a xxxxxxx match with your neighbors". Your wife should learn this.

I wish my neighbors lived by that rule. When they bought their property they started telling people what to do and where to build. Think code enforcement- Now, non of us talk much. Before these guys came around we had a good group that got along well and took on multiple project together with great outcomes.

Just went out to get my wheel barrel, this morning, to spread some gravel that I had delivered to my driveway. The tire was flat and wouldn't take air. I took it apart and found a knife cut thru to the tube. This is the same wheel barrel that I used when installing my fortress fence. Fifteen years I've lived in this town and not one problem 'til the idiot next door moved in. I'm still considering the cannon ports!!! :angry:

Just went out to get my wheel barrel, this morning, to spread some gravel that I had delivered to my driveway. The tire was flat and wouldn't take air. I took it apart and found a knife cut thru to the tube. This is the same wheel barrel that I used when installing my fortress fence. Fifteen years I've lived in this town and not one problem 'til the idiot next door moved in. I'm still considering the cannon ports!!! :angry:

Wow! What nerve.

So it's dark tonight when I got home, and I am trying to unload one of my trailers, so a friend can use it this weekend. Had to push the dead Saturn out of the way, fire up the forklift-stuck needle and seat billowing black smoke till I got it knocked loose, using the car headlights to see, and I hear "What ya doin? Need a hand?" My neighbor saw me outside, and came over to help me out Got the job done a lot quicker than expected. Some neighbors are priceless, others not so. Luckily I have mostly priceless ones.

So it's dark tonight when I got home, and I am trying to unload one of my trailers, so a friend can use it this weekend. Had to push the dead Saturn out of the way, fire up the forklift-stuck needle and seat billowing black smoke till I got it knocked loose, using the car headlights to see, and I hear "What ya doin? Need a hand?" My neighbor saw me outside, and came over to help me out Got the job done a lot quicker than expected. Some neighbors are priceless, others not so. Luckily I have mostly priceless ones.

Amen!!!

I used black silicone caulking under and 80#s of chain around the waist to quiet my anvil - the rebound is still awesome and it makes barely a thump.

I actually thought I had to have a "hot work" permit for my 2 forges, but when my fire department inspector came by, he told me it wasn't necessary.

I do have code enforcement "issues" a couple of times a year where this code inspector comes by and issues as many weird citations as he can. The funny thing is shortly afterwards I get a visit from a "handyman" who wants to fix those same weird issues ... (They totally look like brothers and I've reported it to the city IA department multiple times.)

I wish the "country" wasn't soooo far away from where I live.

There are a lot of pesky neighbors in my neighborhood. A lot of them know that I do blacksmithing, and they get super sensitive everytime they smell smoke or hear noise. There was a guy moonlighting with auto shop work in his garage. He ground sheet metal at 10PM, and I got blamed for it. Someone else was jackhammering his concrete patio, ahd I got blamed again. Sometimes the neighbors figure out that it is not me, since they see me looking around for the source of noise, but there are just those dimwits who just stare and ask "where that hammerin' noise is coming from" when it obviously cannot be me. Then, the jackhammer guy's wife gets all upset when I come snooping around, saying the noise is none of the neighbors' business. Then, this guy is dumping his lumber all over the place, and the neighbors go, "oh, it's the blacksmith again." It is very obvious that the noise is coming from boards falling. It is more of a wood kind of noise, not a metal clanging. Besides, I am out there trying to figure out where the noise is coming from, along with all the neighbors, and they still think it is "the blacksmith". Some of them kind of scratch their heads and I am sure they are thinking how could it be him when he's standing right here. :rolleyes:

I have had the city inspectors called on me, and the police called, but the interesting thing is that they seem to be pretty sympathetic. I hope that nobody calls the EPA. I have heard that they can be pretty troublesome. In fact, I've never gotten in any trouble. It has gotten to the point that I don't do much work outside, since I don't like the negative attention. The funny thing is that one of my buddies does lots of blacksmithing, fabrication, and welding just up the street. He has a whole bunch of junk cars and he burns a lot of smoky coal and nobody seems to mind. Different neighborhoods, I guess.

I feel bad for you folk who live where a man can't do what he wants. Ya'll really need to move to Alaska. If you live out of any city limits. There are no codes at all. I can do anything to my house, property, and shop and no one can or will say a thing. You should see what passes for a house here sometimes. We still have a pioneering spirit and I love living here. Thats not to say there aren't challenges. There certainly are. But, crazy as it may sound. I came here to retire. I'll leave when they carry me out in a box.

All that being said. I would never build to non code spec's personally. Work has to be safe and must be sound. My personal work ethic wouldn't let me do any less.

We do have good neighbors. No one bothers anyone. We say hi to each other and have nice talks. If someone needs a drive scrapped of snow. Some one just shows up and does it. No questions asked. We had a young lady who slipped off the icy road the other day and 6 of us pitched in to get her car out of the ditch. Took us about 5 minutes and she was on her way and unharmed. Everyone pitches in to help when needed. Thats what good neighbors do. Not call the authorities when they see something they don't like. What ever happened to just talking to someone? It doesn't have to be a confrontation. Just be nice. Ask. Talk. Explain. Everyone is so touchy and this country just needs to cowboy up if you ask me. Sorry for the rant.. I'm done now.

Is your work truly a hobby? If so you have a right to do it within the constraints of noise, air,clutter even in a residential neighborhood. If it's a business you're screwed.........The law may be on your side, harassment and vandalism are crimes, not hobbies. I'd document every unreasonable complaint and act of vandalism. A cheap motion camera they sell at hunting stores would be sweet. Stand up for your rights and put some heat on them, some people you can never please............

Sometimes you do have to push back. I had a county mediator hammering me about some cars I have. He shouted me down when I tried to explain that we had different allowances out here than in the Las Vegas valley. In the end, the county zoning dept sided with me, and it took a call to a county supervisor to get the code officer to return my calls on the issue. I moved out to the county so I could enjoy my hobbies.

The problems I see with code enforcement , nuisance calls here is that (1) the caller stays anonymous. It could be a neighbor, friend of a neighbor, someone from out of state, or a Realtor looking to up a commission. You never know who it is that complained. (2) Once they have a complaint they feel that they have the right to come onto my property unannounced anytime, and go anywhere they feel like. They get away with it because to fight it will cost thousands of dollars in legal fees, and they have plenty of lawyers on the payroll to wear you down. (3) It is totally arbitrary. Your neighbors down the road may have the same issues , or worse, and nothing is done till a call is made about it.

One of the things that I have done is get around to my neighbors, and talk with them. I also gave them my name. phone number, and email address with the explanation of, if you ever need to get a hold of me for whatever reason here is my info. Which reminds me, I have some new neighbors down on the corner that I need to do this with. I have also been very willing to help out my neighbors with anything that they needed, like forklifting a shed , or a pallet of bricks to a new location.

One way to quiet an anvil is to take an old speaker magnet, and pop it under the heel of the anvil. Works good.

If all else fails..take up drumming as a hobby..invite a local high garage band to come play..tell them you like things loud.
Invite the neighbor and speak calmly about how this new hobby of yours is SO MUCH more fulfilling then dirty metalwork.
Wear a "big brother's big sister's" T-Shirt.

Some folk, when faced with options, take the one you wish them to take.

Ric

The same thing happened to me recently I moved my shop twice the first time people didnt care but when I left for my adventure I think new neighbours moved in or something and pushed me out.

I am settled in and have about 1000 sq ft shop and I wired it all up properly.
before I used an extension cord in the dryer plug to run my power hammer and welder.

It really took alot of effort to work in that little place with 4 110 outlets and 2 tiny little lights and the 220 extension cord I was always afraid the rain was going to roast me or my equipment.

I can finally use all my equipment without an hour of moving stuff.

I put in about 40 110 outlets

and all the 220 volt i can use on 100 amp breaker (still not enough)

had to build a lift for the hammer dropped it on pipes and rolled it place

it took a week to get everything in and setup right.

Building some big doors right now 12'x6' four of them
made 7 windows and I am about to start on a weather vane and some brackets and caps for some cedar beams.

most of it is fabricated but some of the details (rivets handles ect) will be forged

I also have 2 houses I am doing modern stairways for with glass.

been working 12-14 hours a day for almost 2 months.

Gotta head to the shop right now though cant afford more than one day off this week