I Forge Iron

Looking for a torch - question on quality

robodog

I'm in the market for a new (or used) torch with cutter head and ideally a rosebud tip too. I've been monitoring ebay and there seems to be two levels of quality - Victor and "Victory style". The Victors usually go for $300-$400 including gauges; the others are half the price.

I see a couple Victor setups on Amazon for $260-$270.

I don't want to waste my money on some cheapo junk that's going to fall apart. Nor do I want to waste my money on something that is built for professional use. I'm an amateur hobbyist.

Advice? Are there some good non-Victor makes out there? Harris? Smith?

ESAB/Purox, Harris, and Smith are all good professional names, available in light, medium, and heavy duty models, and can be professionally rebuilt. Not so with knock-offs, when they fail, they die.

Victor 'style' and Airco 'style' torch parts are fully interchangeable within that style, but not across the aisle. Hoses, regulators, etc are mix and match, fully compatible and interchangeable.

Talk to your local welding supply and ask if there is a most common brand in use in your area. More customers = more parts in stock. If you commonly buy from them, they will not steer you wrong.

If you use propane you will need the correct tips and HOSE. the type "T" hose is for propane. It's cheaper but harder to braze and weld with. A rosebud will suck the bottom out of a customer size bottle so be aware of that. Victor is the top of the line---industry favorite--- but there are tons of Harris and Smith torches in use. These three would be my choice. Victor #1 and either the Harris or Smith. Check CL in your area and near you. I have found complete torch set WITH the bottles and cart for less than $200.00 and yes, they were Victor torches. Don't settle for cheap...only cost you $$$ and possibly more!

Like everyone else has already said all mentioned are profesional grade torche sets.

At one time it use to be a regional taste. Like Lincoln in the east and Miller in the west. Smith was very popular inthe midwest where I grew up. Out here in the west Victor is most popular. Not so any more.

I personally like Smith. I like the oxygen cut action better. It seems to me it take less effort to also hold down the cut lever. I have 3 Smith torche sets in my shop just because I got a great deal on them used. Victor is a close second. All the places I have worked, have had Victor.

I love my Smith, and I was Impressed with the Henrob I used at Trying IT hammer in.

As for your comment about "waste of money buying pro equipment"... I feel its a waste of money not to get quality equipment the first time, as sooner or later we have to replace the junk.

In the end after 2 or 3 junk units you have already paid out the $ for a quality unit, except you still dont have it, also with explosive gasses, do you really want to get cheap on flash suppressors ?

I am a big "Buy American" nut. You can not go wrong with the quality of Victor torches.
Now on the other hand my first set of torches that I got at a yard sale is a cheap import set that is still what I have been using for the last 15 years with no problems. I have been using the import regulators and Victor cutting torch (It is just a cutting torch- long handle) The other torch body that I use for welding or rosebud is the cheapo import and it works just fine. I was going to sell the set at a yard sale for $50.00 and no one bought it, so I put it back in service.