I Forge Iron

decisions decisions

Hi all,

I have a friend who works for a very large machinery operation here in WI. I told him to keep an eye out for scraps-big scraps, like 2.5" plate in a big square. Well, he gives me a call the other day to come out to the factory as he'd found a piece that he thought might work for me.

I got there and he rigs up a big electromagnetic crane, and picks up a block of steel- 3.5" thick by 27" tall, by 12" across. Did I mention this was free? If I did my math right, it should weigh about 320ish pounds. I believe it's just plain mild steel. So I'm looking at one of two options...

first, make it into a Brazeal style anvil. It's 27" tall, which is at good striking height already-just weld on some angled legs, and grind/cut the top. possibly have an additional hardy hole.

the other alternative is, to make a big swage bench out of it. Have different shaped/sized holes cut into-much like a swage, as well as a couple of dishes. have it at a good striking height, but not too low, so I can use a portion of it as a stake plate as well. It would be awfully heavy, but I might as well have grooves cut in the sides as well to make it a true swage block if I go this route.

My instinct tells me to make it into the latter option as it will be of more use to me for this particular piece, and try to get another (smaller) one to make into the Brazeal anvil. That being said, how would I go about having this cut? I'm thinking waterjet, but possibly flame cut if it is precise enough. I also thought about having a couple/few dishes on it to work metal into-how would one go about doing this? I'm not crazy enough (yet) to try forging them in, but could they be cut in using a milling machine or the like? .or is this just a big waste of time, and should I bring this hunk of scrap to Quad State and give it away? :P

Aaron

Nice score Aaron. Given my drothers I'd build it a stand and use it horizontally as an anvil with a generous selection of dies. (As Brian calls shapes on an anvil or hammer) Mounting it vertically would be low for me and a 3.5" x 12" face wouldn't have many shape options. It would however make a super nice striking anvil, great depth of rebound is always a plus.

Frosty the Lucky.

well I would cut it in half and cut one of the half's in half. Use one piece flat and put a hardie hole in it the other mount is side way Brian has 2 styles of anvils you can make both. if you do not have a band saw that can handle the stock take it to your metal supplier and pay to have it cut. sell the third piece

I hope to be at Quad-State on Wednesday and I can haul that useless piece of plunder\\\\\\\ metal far far away for you!

It would make a dandy upsetting block for the floor but why not swage block 3 of the four edges and leave the last one alone as a Brazeal style anvil.

Or to quote "Big Trouble in Little China": "Marry them Both!"

Actually I think that make a swage block will be very expensive in time and tooling---I know you could easily buy one far cheaper than a machine shop would require. Is there a local VoTech that might take it on as a project for a donation to their end of the year party fund?

I asked a similar question about a few 80-lb blocks I had, and the consensus seemed to be that it would be prohibitively expensive to create a swage block, given that in a modern shop, it's probably more useful to have a series of anvil swages than a single steel swage block.

I'd set it up as an anvil. In fact, that's exactly what I'm going to do when I empty my truck out from moving, and can go pick up some 14.25X18.5X6.25 mild steel blocks in my area (about 500lb).

The first thing you do is get it home, if you haven't done so already.

Do you have an anvil? If not, use it as one for now.

My Dad made some swage blocks while we were taking welding courses at the local community college. The shapes were cut on a CNC torch in class. With the right tip,and feed rate, it will leave a beautiful edge.

Do you really need a swage block in the first place?

You could also profile a London pattern anvil out of it with a torch 27" long X 12" high.

It all depends on what you have at your disposal in the way of equipment. The possibilities are endless.