I Forge Iron

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

I have finally finished reading the thread to the end . I use several techniques thumb up ,down, tucked , side . it depends on just what i am doing and what type of tool i am swinging or using . no one person has the correct answer 1 if they did we would all make the same type of metal working style and forgings that is what makes us all different and our work desirable to others , our unique style of hammering, filing, and finishing our work .

Sam JIMHO

You might've taken a misstep there, Stewart. Click the link and check the picture at the top! :)

not really.........................the POINT of this is that if it works, do it, but there is no tried and true orthodoxy in america...........................unlike the guild system that created ME. This thread started over a year ago, when someone NOT familiar with how I was trained criticized my hand position at a public demo, not realizing that I am the culmination of a thousand years of passed-down technique from eastern europe.................and THAT is the point of this exercise!

• 3 weeks later...

OK this just reminded me. I recently was loaned the first 30 years (or so) of the anvils ring. I have a bit of an obsession with smithing so I read them all. There is an article with pictures that I believe is informative and pertinent to this topic. I don't suppose there's any way to post images of that article is there? I am speaking of the legality, not the actual ability to post it. Glen, do you have any insights? I believe I will need permission from ABANNA but I figured I'd ask here to see if there was anything here against it first.

• 2 weeks later...