I Forge Iron

Which way to turn?

Glenn

My wood lathe turns counter clockwise. It turns into the cutting edge of the chisel as it turns...Assuming you have the motor to your left as you work. I did here of reversible lathes that use a different thread of chuck & jaws, Something about sanding in one direction tends to lay the fiber of the wood down, reversing the rotation cuts the wood fiber the other direction.(kind of makes sense)
I have only used a wood lathe not a metal...YET...!
TIM

If you mean metal lathes, most turn both ways - forward and reverse. Forward is rotating toward the tool holder, which is typically on the operator's side. The headstock holds the spindle (the part that is powered and holds the chuck) and is on the left as you face the lathe with the tailstock is on the right. The spindle can be reversed for various operations but care must be used with a threaded spindle nose because it is possible to unscrew a chuck - not a good thing. Other types of spindle noses are locked and will not unscrew in reverse.

Wood lathes also rotate toward the operator so the knife is forced down against the tool rest when taking a cut.

• 2 weeks later...

lathes turn both ways but think of the cutting action on a metal lathe
clockwise or ccwise you want the cutting action to be pushing on the saddle of the lathe , to avoid chatter and instability the same goes for a wood lathe
you want the chisel resting on the guide with the work pushing the chisel downward on to the saddle

Counter clock wise for the cutting tool on the left side of the work. This is considered climb cutting in milling machines. CLock wise for the cutting tool on the right side of the work. because you have the tool stationary the material is pulled over the tool.

Ok now if you put the tool in upside down all this changes. If you look at the rake angle of the tool, you will find that almost always a lathe tool is ment to have the material pulled from the top...

A Normal drill in the tail stock, should have a ccw material in the chuck.
Just to make a point there are left handed drills on the market. know your tools and how to use em...that is the ART of the craft.

• 4 months later...

All of the horizontal lathes that we use at my job are programmed to cut in the ccw direction.

However, we do have several large vertical lathes (by large, I mean a 68" spindle) in which the turret or ram will cross zero in the x-axis and allow you to cut on the negative "x" side of the workpiece. We do this to more effectively use our tooling space in the turret or tool carousel. In these instances, the spindle will turn in a cw direction.

Interestingly, we recently puchased several Daewoo horizontal cnc lathes. They came with some tooling already installed in the turrets, but the tooling was installed upside down. This would also necessitate that you program the spindle to turn cw. The Daewoo rep. who did the initial setup of the machines in our plant said that this was the typical turning method in S. Korea, where the machines were made. The turrets were designed to adapt to either method of tool installation, so we turn them over the right way first thing.

The material should ALWAYS come DOWN into the tool, so the tool rest or tool holder keeps the tool from moving. It takes a lot more engineering or energy to hold a tool in place when it is being pulled up from the lathe bed or tool rest.

With metal working, many lathes will also reverse. One use of that is that you can put the tool inside the work. Running the lathe backwards allows you to cut the inside of your work and still see what you are doing. Otherwise you have to go through contortions to see what you are doing, as you do in wood turning.

• 5 weeks later...

cw is usefull if you use a tap or a die in conjunction with the tailstock to apply pressure, use a centre for a tap, faced off MT sleeve for a die, tap wrench or die holder resting on the bed like a dog, reverse to get said tap or die off for 2nd and 3rd cuts. Not one for small threads though. Also you dont get nice clean sharp threads come to think of it. But it has its purpose. if you try it beware of the wrench flipping around and getting you under the chin when you put it in reverse.

• 2 months later...

to even further add to the confusion our large vertical borer (132" table dia) has 2 toolposts (columns) one on the right as your facing the machine (3 o'clock if you like) and one on the left (9 o'clock), so you have the left tool facing back, and the right tool facing forward !

Your very own IFI Ian seemed to get a bit hypnotised by this particular machine :o

edit....... errm ok the other way round right hand tool as you face the machine, cutting tip facing back... etc..., you can see where the confusion arrises !

• 2 months later...

Mate, great big gnarley machines that chew up even bigger lumps of metal would fascinate any bloke worth his salt. I think the one your on about was machining down some BIG bit of flanged pipe. It went round and round and round...... lol
The other one I really enjoyed watching was the size of a tennis court, some sort of plane? Big flat bed and the business end travelled up and down it. As everyone has by now probably guessed I know bugger all about Machinery work, but I do know John N so I can only learn :)

• 4 months later...

When I make pipe bending dies, I grind a form tool to a little more than half the radius width. I then rough the die,finnish the left side, turn the form tool upside down, reverse the lathe and finnish the right side. If the machine wants to chatter, then I swing the tool post to the back side, leave the tool right side up and run the lathe in reverse.

• 1 month later...

Main concern should be DON'T stand in front of the chuck or rest you're arm on the headstock while it's turning clock wise or ( counter clockwise with the tool upside down.) If you snag a chip you could end up in compatiton with Nabisco shredded wheat's mascot!

When your cutting threads on a lathe sometimes it's easier to do the cutting away from the headstock! ...To do this you have to be able to turn CCW. So esentually your threading upside down. ...It works I'm here to tell you!!!

• 1 month later...

Most manually operated lathes are ran CCW so that if a chuck wrench is accidentally left in the lathe chuck, and machine is started, the chuck wrench is instantly thrown at the operator. School of Hard Knocks: Crash Course, Pass/Fail grade options

A few posts back it was mentioned that drills are used with the machine operated in CCW. I wonder if those posting individuals have ever seen a left hand twist drill? They then require that the lathe be ran in a CW direction for proper cutting action. Any ideas why I may want to use a LH drill vs a RH drill for some applications?

Stan, there are a couple reasons off the top of my head for left-handed bits. Most used are smaller ones for drilling out broken off bolts. As the drill works, it heats up the bolt, and as the bit drills through the bottom, it will actually back the broken piece out. The other use is for gang drills, as every other quill turns backward to the next; ie, cw-ccw-cw-ccw as the gears mesh.
Bob

left hand drills , ahhhhhhh
i used to run screw machines and the high range was ccw with left hand drills to drill the hole and when you went to tap threads , right hand threads that is
you shifted to low range and the machine would run cw and reversing the tap went into high range