I Forge Iron

Which way to turn?

Glenn

Yes when using a LH twisted drill rotating in a CCW direction many RH threaded broken bolts and studs can be removed almost as fast as the bolt or stud broke. If the item is not removed with this method you now have a hole drilled for an Easy-Out.

BTW: If you are getting paid to remove the bolt or stud for a customer, tell them the price of the machining charges up front. Also might be a good idea to have them step out of the shop for a cup of complimentary coffee or something. My minimum charge for this type of work was $20. I was usually finished in 5-minutes or less total time!

• 1 month later...

theres one thing that i havn't seen metioned now i'm not a machinest but i do have 3 lathes and i have ran them cw when needed but when running them cw if you were able to jam the cutting bit theres is the possablity of unscrewing the chuck off the head stock i did hear of some one doing it with one of those china 7x12 lathes the had got it at a tool sale and i guess the chuck wasn't tight and they turned it on in cw and it flew off and hit him not shore of how or why i just got the info from my buddy who is tsr for the company that sold it