I Forge Iron

2011 - Trying-It Hammer-in

The 5th annual "Trying-It" hammerin weekend for 2011 wll be scheduled as usual on the 3rd weekend of Aug which this year will fall on Aug 19, 20, 21 (Fri - Sun) . This is the same weekend as the annual 5-day American Threshermen Steam and Antique Tractor show just 7 miles south in Pinckneyville, thus most motels are fully booked within the Pinckneyville region. The great flea market at the steam show is well worth a look too. Past years I have acquired a complete forge table and a 6" post vise, both considered to have been bought at bargain prices!

This hammerin is on our 80-acre farm so bring a tent and you and yours should surely be able to find a cozy place here to pitch it! (Bathroom and shower in house can be used.) Other sleeping arrangements may be possible if desired, but contact me beforehand and we will see what we can do!

This hammerin location is about 6.5 miles north of Pinckneyville, Illinois, (zipcode 62274) on IL State RT 127.

Email: trying_it2@yahool.com

Cell # 618-924-4032

Again I have placed a special request with the weather service to hold off the mud makers this particular weekend. At this point in time all is looking good in that dept with just more typical type southern Illinois temps and humidity; and the ever present chance of a pop-up shower.

Come share a fire and the fun!!!! Come meet other IFI members!

BTW: This year we will be breaking in my new shop addition for a smithy, so now we get to play inside!!!

Stan AKA: Trying-it

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stan. I sent you an email yesterday asking for the details, but I finally found this post. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it. Do you have anything specific planned for the weekend, or just show up and see what happens? I can bring a portable forge, coal and anvil if it's needed. Are there any camper sites close by?

Hi Stan,
It sounds like fun! Sorry due to other commitments I won't be able to make it. :rolleyes:
However I would like to come over and visit- meet the locals as it were.
I have e-mailed you on your Yahoo adress, I would like to "pop-past" around the end of August?

Ian

Stan,
I managed to side step a last minute trip to NC . I have the dog sitter lined up, the coolers cleaned out out and the coal is in the garbage can (not to be confused with my "Big Can"). At this point I plan to head your way before sun up Friday morning. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

John

will try to be there at least sat been trying to get back down to see you but work and this grand baby is keeping crazy busy. but last week i cut off about 18 hr of work per week so i should have a little more time now good to here that you are doing so well till we talk again keep your forge hot and your butt cool
ED

Hey Dan. You need a vacation, my friend. :) Come on up for a couple of days. Jump over and catch I-55 to St Louis and straight east from that. Would be nice to meet you. Talk with you later. Stan, I'll bring a couple bags of that new coal and some wrought iron. Is Susan gonna be the chef? :D

....hmm I also heard somewhere Dodge is bringing a KEG of beer

Stan,

Tentatively, I plan to attend. (Riding "shotgun" with Ian ;) ) But sorry guys; the beer genie didn't respond to my summons. I think it was that last time I broke the taboo of wishing for more wishes... :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

We had a GREAT time at Stan's hammer-in. We had eleven blacksmiths there, at one point. Got pix of everyone but JeffB from up in McComb, ILL. The guys worked on several items from hammers to leaves and John Bennett and Stan showed me how to make a rolled rose. Finally got to meet Ian, from UK. He was a real pleasure to visit with and a lot of fun to be around, but he talks funny! :ph34r: LOL. Had to throw that one in there Ian. Here are a few of the pix that I took.
post-1549-0-12402800-1314057476_thumb.jp
From L to R: Red Hot, Stan,Steve Sells, Ian, Richard Thibeau, Dodge, Curly George, (kneeling L to R) John Bennett, Steve McCarthy
post-1549-0-83449300-1314057620_thumb.jp
Steve McCarthy at the power hammer
post-1549-0-10895700-1314057670_thumb.jp
I promised RT that I wouldn't tell how his sneaker got wet. :D
post-1549-0-97029100-1314057696_thumb.jp
Steve McCarthy getting ready for the chow line
post-1549-0-79749000-1314057719_thumb.jp
Dodge in the chow line
post-1549-0-63195300-1314057733_thumb.jp
John Bennett taking a break
post-1549-0-76023500-1314059013_thumb.jp
The Chef, Susan, and her assistant, Clara
post-1549-0-16137000-1314057772_thumb.jp
Curly, Richard, Ian, and dodge. Notice who was to busy to look up and smile. :D
post-1549-0-53029000-1314057792_thumb.jp
Red Hot (Kyle) working on a project
post-1549-0-13361400-1314057816_thumb.jp
Steve Sells and Ed Soule
post-1549-0-48535800-1314057841_thumb.jp
John Bennett brought a pair of life size deer antlers along that he had made. The detail is absolutely beautiful

Everybody had a lot of fun. Ed Soule bought a new (to him) anvil. I made a deal and bought a big anvil. Thanks to Stan's wife and daughter for all the time spent making up the chow and keeping us all fed. It was GREAT!! Can't wait 'til next year. :)

Thanks Stan for letting me drop in had Fun. It was great meeting all of you! I will be back some day, and I will pick up a hammer next time. It is just hard to do with new people with lots of skill and I have very little! :huh: The ice is broke know, look out.
Steve I will try not to do anything to make you have the fun of Kicking me out of here :D

I'll tell ya how my shoe got wet.....Stan was standing next to me and a fluid splashed on my shoe. <_<
That gathering gets better each year and there are no harder working or better hostesses than Clara and Susan...many thanks to them. As usual, Stan managed to get us a nice rain storm and a good heaping of humidity, but it was an excellent fun weekend. For me it was a 10 hour drive each way, total of just shy of 1200 miles round trip and worth every bit of it. Anyone that can should definitely put this on their calendar. Thanks to Scott (Dodge) for help with the keg, but I still couldn't drain it.. :unsure: ...almost though.. ^_^
Ian from the UK was a delightful visitor and believe it or not, he actually knows how to smith... :o
More pics will get posted later.

post-344-0-71746800-1314079910_thumb.jpg

Once again I left Stan exhausted but well fed ^_^ and as John said, its great to put faces to names! The ride there and back was a complete joy with Ian. It was great fun trading stories and Ian got to add one more treat to his list of American ingenuity; Arby's roast beef. LOL
Many thanks to Stan, Clara, Susan and the others responsible for making it unforgettable!
Here's a few more pics.

post-38-0-34465000-1314142085_thumb.jpg
Ian giving Ed Soule some smithing pointers

post-38-0-74083700-1314142080_thumb.jpg
Here's a couple candidates for rouges row :D
rthibeau and steve sells

post-38-0-90950600-1314142081_thumb.jpg
RedHot77(Stan's SIL, Kyle) hard at it

post-38-0-14885600-1314142083_thumb.jpg
Stan and his neighbor

post-38-0-44276900-1314142086_thumb.jpg
Curly George and John Bennet involved in one of the best parts of a hammerin; Trading information and ideas about the craft

post-38-0-81274300-1314142077_thumb.jpg
Ian getting to experience something he can't in the UK ;)

post-38-0-77347800-1314142079_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...