I Forge Iron

Hold downs

Can you guys show me some pics of what types of clamps you are using to hold pieces down on your anvils? I would like to make a few tools that require splitting, and/or punching holes in and my wife doesn't want to be anywhere near a hot piece of steel while I have a hammer in my hands.

I did try making a hold down from a piece of mild steel that goes into the hardy and you tap down to make it hold but it didn't work as well as I had hoped.

Thanks in advance for the pics!

This seems to be a try it before modifying situation. I took a vise grip clamp and hooked it under the hardy hole. With a little adjustment it started holding solid. Might bit more fiddly than having it fitted to the hardy hole, but no tool modification required. ;)

Phil

Hey Barry,

At BP's this last tuesday Glenn presented us with two different holddowns. I thought the second one was more to my liking as you could step on the bar and add more pressure to the piece you were working on. I currently have one that goes into the pritchel hole and wedges down on the piece but that can and does work loose. The second BP prevents it from coming loose and frees up your hands to hold the hammer and a tool.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/page/index.html/_/blueprints/bp0457-hold-down-r688

http://www.iforgeiron.com/page/index.html/_/blueprints/bp0469-hold-downs-r700

Mark<><

I just use a drive chain hooked to a staple on the far side of my anvil and draped over the anvil and my 3" X 5" angle iron cutting plate. Some guys fit a foot pedal on the near end of their chain to add pressure, but I've not found it needful. My chain is something like a motorcycle drive chain... just farm auction scrap I picked up in a box of miscellany. I made a drive hook mounted on the wall nearby to drape it off the floor when not in use. It usually works well and swiftly.

Wow, I must be doing it wrong! I use something that looks a lot like a bench hold down that a carpenter would use. I set it in the hardy hole and give it a wack with the hammer. IT wedges in and seems to hold just fine. When I need the piece released, I just hit it on the bottom and up it pops. Hit it hard enough and be fast enough and you can grab it out of the air. Looks cool, chicks dig it. However, this is not recommend as the end in contact with the work will get hot enough to burn your finger prints off. Chicks do not dig that.

When I need a hold down on the anvil I set a work stand up the same height as the anvil plus the work, about 2-3 from the anvil. I then place a piece of square bar (3/4" min)one end on the anvil the other on the stand. I hang a heavy weight from the bar close to the anvil. To use you just have to lift the end of the bar and place it on whatever you are working on.
This is really fast to use and doesn't require you to build anything, and seems to hold down as well as anything else.

This is really fast to use and doesn't require you to build anything, and seems to hold down as well as anything else.

I find that building different tools helps to round out my education. If I never use it, then at least I understand it. Thanks for your idea about the bar and weight. I'll try that too!

Mark<><

Mark, what works for you is the critter. i bent a piece of one inch round to slip into the hardy hole and is long to knock out from the bottom. It bends about four inches off the face 90 deg. and another bend about 3" at a 45 deg to a fattened "foot" to hold work often its weight alone is sufficient to hold for punching or other top tool jobs. a bash locks it tight.I used round bar so it will turn. Or you could fix a chain to a foot pedal to toss over the work, hook quickly on the other side and step on the pedal. this is another use for old trampoline springs,and redneck engineering.

May sound silly, but for a while I've been considering making a pneumatic hold down. Based on personal experience with pneumatic holder-ons used in boiler riveting they apply quick, stay tight and solid and don't rattle off. Something similar on an anvil could be handy. Small tie rod cylinder underneath with foot valve and whatever flavor linkage and style of clamp you want? Also could use small inline regulator to adjust clamping pressure. I dunno but as many times goose necks etc. loosen and fall off at unhandy times I think I might try it. :unsure:

Mark, what works for you is the critter. i bent a piece of one inch round to slip into the hardy hole and is long to knock out from the bottom. It bends about four inches off the face 90 deg. and another bend about 3" at a 45 deg to a fattened "foot" to hold work often its weight alone is sufficient to hold for punching or other top tool jobs. a bash locks it tight.I used round bar so it will turn. Or you could fix a chain to a foot pedal to toss over the work, hook quickly on the other side and step on the pedal. this is another use for old trampoline springs,and redneck engineering.

Danny, I use the same type holddown in the pritchel now and although it will lock down tight, there are times when it will loosen up while in use. Very aggrivating. I'll also give the chain and foot pedal a try. I'll try them all and then I will be able to tell others what works best for me. Thanks bro.

Mark<><

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Barry,

At BP's this last tuesday Glenn presented us with two different holddowns. I thought the second one was more to my liking as you could step on the bar and add more pressure to the piece you were working on. I currently have one that goes into the pritchel hole and wedges down on the piece but that can and does work loose. The second BP prevents it from coming loose and frees up your hands to hold the hammer and a tool.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/page/index.html/_/blueprints/bp0457-hold-down-r688

http://www.iforgeiron.com/page/index.html/_/blueprints/bp0469-hold-downs-r700

Mark<><

Hi. I am having a hard time accessing these links. They lead to a support page. Does anybody know how to get to them?????????

Thanks in advance! :)

May sound silly, but for a while I've been considering making a pneumatic hold down. Based on personal experience with pneumatic holder-ons used in boiler riveting they apply quick, stay tight and solid and don't rattle off. Something similar on an anvil could be handy. Small tie rod cylinder underneath with foot valve and whatever flavor linkage and style of clamp you want? Also could use small inline regulator to adjust clamping pressure. I dunno but as many times goose necks etc. loosen and fall off at unhandy times I think I might try it. :unsure:

I have a small 2" (bore) x 4" air cylinder that I have been thinking of doing exactly that with. My thoughts were to mount it to my anvil stand and use a rod extension and fulcrum mechanism to work the hold down :)