I Forge Iron

If you were gonna buy a new anvil...

I'm looking to get an anvil around 200 lbs or so for regular work in my shop. I'm weighing all my options right now, and I was wondering which anvil you'd choose if you could get one today. I need something that will be a real workhorse and be a solid investment for the shop.
I have worked a good bit before on a 225 lb peddinghaus, which I quite enjoyed. What other makers should I be looking at?
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Peddinghouse is a pretty hard act to follow... but- Steve McGrew from Incandescent Iron is Spokane is going to bring a few very lightly used Rhinos to the NWBA Conference for a fair price. He has personally overseen the quality control at the plant that makes them for him in China and they are a FINE anvil. You can reach him at Incandescent Iron..try google.

I recently invested in a 250 Nimba. I've been super happy with it. It's mounted on a stump that's buried about 3 feet in the ground and it is BY FAR the most solid feeling anvil I've ever used. Peddinghaus and Refflinghaus look amazing too though, I'm sure any high end new anvil is going to be incredible.

Emerson Horseshoe supply in Bosier City, LA makes a London style anvil that weighs 200 pounds. Nearly identical to the Kohlswa anvil and American made! I have been using one for several years and it seems to be holding up fine. I have worked on the Rat Hole anvils and they are awesome. On my wish list for sure. They are available in 250 and 460 pounds.
Troy

You don't say where you are.

In UK I would buy a Brooks. They are first class and discounts are usually available from the colossal prices on their list. Even if that isn't an option certainly look at www.anvils.co.uk for ideas from their catalogue.

On continental Europe you would have lots to choose from. One good choice would be a Hofi. There is a separate thread on those. Any of the german ones would be good or even a Euroanvil

For new, in the states, you have plenty of choice. I think I would get one of the slightly used, effectively new, Rhinos. See www.incandescent-iron.com for details. I think Rhino do a discount for ABANA members but whether that would apply to used anvils I don't know. Of course you could go to the event and wait until the end and make him an offer! In a choice between loading a 300+ pound anvil back onto a truck or offering a further discount I know what I would do if I were the seller.

I'm looking to get an anvil around 200 lbs or so for regular work in my shop. I'm weighing all my options right now, and I was wondering which anvil you'd choose if you could get one today. I need something that will be a real workhorse and be a solid investment for the shop.
I have worked a good bit before on a 225 lb peddinghaus, which I quite enjoyed. What other makers should I be looking at?
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

In the U.S. (and maybe Canada) I'd go for the middle Rhino. I spent a thousand or two thousand hours on a 100 kg (220 lb) anvil in Spain and feel that's the starting point, the default weight. I recently received a 242 lb Rhino here and am impressed by every aspect of it. You wouldn't go wrong with that anvil.

lbas (smiling at finally having a really good anvil for the first time in my life - at sixty-five!)

The Ozark Pattern anvil is also one of the great ones. 275#, S7 steel, made in Missouri, USA. Bob Alexander is now handling them. If you want to talk to him, PM me and I will give you his phone#. I have used this anvil a would LOVE to have one in my shop...maybe one day...Price is comprable to any of the above mentioned brands. Remember, you HAVE to post pics of the new one once you get it home! :D

I own a Rhino from the afore mentioned Incandecient Ironworks. Its a very fine anvil and much less expencive than the competition. I like it just fine. I got the 242lb model and I don't really need another. Serves me very well. Anvils are very difficult to find in Alaska so that drove my decision more than anything. If I run across a 100 lb or so anvil I would like to have one. But, I don't need to have one.

I have a lot of anvils both new and old
Jymm Hoffmam
Tom Clark
Niimba gladiator
Vaughn Brooks
Emerson
Mankle
Refflinghaus
Habberman
JHM
These were new
And
Peter Wrights
Hey Buddens
Fishers
Mouseholes
All in various weights.
If I could pick only one to use off of this list it would be one of the refflinghaus anvils
There are a lot of good anvils out there.
Some people will cut corners on an item that will last several lifetimes if taken care of ( anvils , Guns etc )and have no problem spending 30,000.00 on a vehicle that if they are lucky they will get 10 years out of.

This is great guys thanks for all the input. I've been reading up online on all these suggestions. Lots of great looking anvils out there to choose from.

I'm in Alabama, USA, so I would love to get an American made anvil, if i can afford it. Looks like the nimba 275's run about 1500 before shipping, which is about the ceiling for me, and might be a bit much.

The Ozarks do look nice, I might look into those a bit more. This is a pretty big tool buy for me, so I'm going to take my time choosing the right anvil. My upright railroad track will just have to continue serving in the meantime ;)

I just purchased one of the 460's from Steve Fontanini , formerly Rathole Forge. I had originally planned on the 250 lb anvil but he had sold out of those by the time I was ready to buy. Just worked the 460 for the first time yesterday, it is a very nice anvil! Steve has one 460 left in stock. You will not go wrong with either one of the two offerings from Fontanini Anvil.

http://www.fontaninianvilandtool.com/http___www.fontaninianvilandtool.com/Welcome.html

post-18516-0-94164600-1299260362_thumb.j

I bought the last 460 from steve, working out the shipping. He is currently waiting on the foundry to let him know what the price increase will be for the next batch. I can't wait to get it to the shop! Rest assured i will be posting pictures.

• 3 years later...

I did buy two new anvils... the Nimba 260 lbs. and the Rat Hole 460 lb.

The Nimba 460's don't do it for me... But the Nimba 260's has the right look what with the feet... it is a cute little pig that is great to work with. I know, mass and all.... And the Nimba 460 is a solid sucker right down to the base. But I couldn't warm up to the look of it. The Nimba 260 I can look at and work with all day and not grow weary of it.

Now the 460 rathole... Once you get out the angle grinder with an american made bronze or brass knotted wire wheel on it to "plate" or heat transfer the lower, nonworking parts of the 460 lbs rathole, you have an anvil that seems smarter than you. 

The combination of the Nimba 260 and the rathole 460 is a lifelong tooling set up that will be in great shape when my time on the planet has passed.