I Forge Iron

pics of my grinder and power hammer

hey guys , thought i would post a pic or two of my 2x72 belt grinder and my power hammer,
the hammer I built in a class with Clay Spencer,
the belt grinder I made from scrap I had,
the idler wheel and drive wheel were bought from Beaumont
the contact wheel is a 10 inch grizzly I had milled to accept some bearings,( A real cheap alternative, Think I had about 80 bucks in it.)

:unsure:

post-120-0-80307900-1299032279_thumb.jpg

post-120-0-95403000-1299032281_thumb.jpg

post-120-0-55231900-1299032283_thumb.jpg

thanks for the compliments!
as far as the siding in my shop, i used to work for lowes, and the ceder tongue and groove inside my shop was left out side for a looooong time , asked my manager about buying it , and got it
for a song! I miss the deals i used to get there for sure!

• 3 months later...

Nice shop! I know this is not a real current topic but I just wanted to comment on something I noticed in the pics, and that is the placement of the electrical plug directly behind the wheel of the grinder. I did this once and had a great many problems once the metal dust began acumulating in and around the plug receptical(short outs and sparks type of problems), did this once(at the same time) with the plug in line with my small lathe chuck(small OILY metal particals flying into the plug...OH what a show). Just thought I'd through this in as food for thought...something to consider if you hadn't already. Wes

Nice shop! I know this is not a real current topic but I just wanted to comment on something I noticed in the pics, and that is the placement of the electrical plug directly behind the wheel of the grinder. I did this once and had a great many problems once the metal dust began acumulating in and around the plug receptical(short outs and sparks type of problems), did this once(at the same time) with the plug in line with my small lathe chuck(small OILY metal particals flying into the plug...OH what a show). Just thought I'd through this in as food for thought...something to consider if you hadn't already. Wes

Good observation. Also looks like no cover on the outlet, double bad. When I wired my shop I only put outlets in the ceiling plus I have a number of cord reels installed. Does cut down on the fireworks.

thanks for the compliments!
As far as the outlets go , hadn't thought of metal dust getting in there , I will defiinately take the advise and cover the outlets, my shop is 12 by 14 so not much room, can't really move the grinder so i'll probably tape up around the outlet as to keep the dust from going in to the one behind the grinder...

Also Thanks for the critique on safety, some people get upset when you mention things like this, not me! the more eyes on safer ways of doing things the better i think!:D

NO TAPE!!! there are dome covers (look for patio outlet covers as box store) they go on like a standard house Cover, but keep the business parts of the outlet protected from above to even head-on while things are plugged into them

Very nice shop setup. I am hoping to learn a little welding myself and want to build a grinder very much like that.

I do have to nitpick a little, because I can and I'm not in range of a swung back hand, but that belt is looking a little raggety. Do you use them up to within an inch of their lives? :D

Regards,
Tim

NO TAPE!!! there are dome covers (look for patio outlet covers as box store) they go on like a standard house Cover, but keep the business parts of the outlet protected from above to even head-on while things are plugged into them

Good call Steve! Hadn't thought of using those in the shop.