I Forge Iron

Coal Conspiracy???

Is seems like everytime I ask where someone is getting their coal, where can I get a ton, or any question about coal I either get no answer or someone suggest I switch to gas. I'm not angry at all. I'm just trying to get supplies. I live in central Mississippi. The only company I've found selling coal in #50 bags up to a ton is Buck Ice and Coal in Columbus, GA. I plan to call them soon but I'm somewhat gun shy since this is the only company I found willing to sell one ton to a private citizen. I'm willing to drive to other states. I feel I'll get a better deal buying by the ton than ordering by the bag and having it shipped. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I suggest you switch to propane.

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I remember seeing a directory of coal suppliers. I think maybe it was on Don Fogg's forum or website. Anybody know?

Edit: I found the list. It's on Anvilfire.com Scroll down until you see the link to the
"The Coal Scuttle". Here's the listings for Georgia:

Aetna Coal, Brown’s Siding, Wildwood, GA. Call James Lynn at (615) 821-5433 between 7:00 AM and 4:00 PM. Ask for metallurgical coal.
Buck Ice & Coal Co., 2400 Twelfth Avenue, PO Box 1457, Columbus, GA 31902-1457, TEL: 706-322-5451. Sell Bituminous coal in fifty pound sacks and also by the hundred weight (1000 pound minimum on loose coal).
Jimmy Johnson, Rt. 5, Union Hill Road, Canton, Georgia 30114. TEL: (770) 479-8627.
GA Farriers Supply, 2891 Upper Bethany Rd, Jasper, GA 30143. TEL: (770) 735-3984

Probably not conspiracy. Just the way internet forums work. I put up a question on a military vehicles site, asking for the height of the frame rails on a particular truck. What I got back was seven responses ranging from, "do you have one yourself?" "Your height requirments are wrong" "There are more trees out east than in the West" and several others.

Nobody told me what the frame rail measurement was.

Kind of like my post: I'm still not telling you where to get coal.

:rolleyes:

Have you spoke with your local ABANA affiliate and asked if someone there knows of a local supplier or if the group does a group buy to sell to members? The local club buys out of NE Oklahoma (Vinita I think and they will sell to individuals so far as I know) and sells to members, but NE Oklahoma is a long drive for you and the cost of delivery would likely make it prohibitive.

http://www.msforgecouncil.com/

ron

There is a guy in my town, (Columbia Kentucky,) that was selling coal last year. He hauls it by the dump truck load from the eastern side of the state. If you are willing to drive I can get you his number. I don't buy from him as I have a private source, but I believe it's pretty reasonable.

I can get coal up the road in Utah for $130 a ton. I need to contact the company he gets it from to get an analysis. He had it in small bits to big ol chunks. I looked it over in the stalls, and I didn't see anything much in the way of sulfur veins.

It really bugs the crap out of me how companies sell to other countries, and it jacks our prices up here at home so much. Coal, steel, cement, etc.. I say take care of the home base first, keep us competitive.

I can get coal up the road in Utah for $130 a ton. I need to contact the company he gets it from to get an analysis. He had it in small bits to big ol chunks. I looked it over in the stalls, and I didn't see anything much in the way of sulfur veins.

It really bugs the crap out of me how companies sell to
other countries, and it jacks our prices up here at home so much. Coal, steel, cement, etc.. I say take care of the home base first, keep us competitive.

I agree. As a nation we are even selling the water from the Great Lakes to China!!!

It's not a conspiracy, but it seems like it. About 20 years ago, a man in the coal business told me that coal going abroad is sold in train load lots and 100,000 ton lots. At that time, most was being shipped to Japan for their blast furnaces. It's the age old story of making more money by selling in bulk. Take steel for example. Can a little guy afford to buy enough steel to get a price break?

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

It's not a conspiracy, but it seems like it. About 20 years ago, a man in the coal business told me that coal going abroad is sold in train load lots and 100,000 ton lots. At that time, most was being shipped to Japan for their blast furnaces. It's the age old story of making more money by selling in bulk. Take steel for example. Can a little guy afford to buy enough steel to get a price break?

No such blessing have I ever witnessed. My reasoning is this. A ton of coke for $390 plus shipping of $136 for a total of $526 is cheaper than I could travel to any active mine from my hometown. Why do I plan to purchase a ton? I believe it's the best option due to the dwindling supply and ever increasing price of coal/coke. Thanks for posting on my thread. I look forward to taking a class one day.

My coal story. Since the early 1960's, I have used every kind of coal imaginable. I'm presently getting it from a feed/fuel store about five minutes away. I think that it comes out of Colorado near Durango. I used to drive up to the mine and get a pickup load every now and then. The mine owners enforced a new policy; no more small loads. The minimum would now be a large dump truck load, approximately 25 tons. The catch; I need to furnish the truck (which I don't have). I believe that most of the coal is presently going to the Four Corners electric power plant.

My local source sells it to me by the "scooper." as the owner calls it. He has a 1960 tractor with a front end loader. Each load he calls a scooper. My pickup takes two or three loads at a time, what I can afford.

The coal comes in large chunks, from about 3" to 10" across. At first I did not care for the chunks, but I now use them to surround the fire. When heated, they fractionize as coke is formed. The coke can easily be chipped off with the fire rake. To start the fire, we do break up some of the green coal on a concrete pad with a tamper. Once the fire gets going, we start using the big pieces.

Correct me if I'm wrong but using coke instead of coal would save coking time, less contaminates in forge welding, and less clinkers. I realize that one must have the following- larger holes in the air screen and an electric blower. I am installing an electric blower when I wire the smithy and since I built my forge I see no issue with enlarging the air holes. Any info or opinions?