I Forge Iron

whats your steel costing you now?

We just picked up some 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 20' 1018 for trade axe/ Tomahawk bodies and it was $20 and some change per stick.
3/8" round x 20' is about $11 per stick
1/4" round x 20' is about $6 and change per stick
1/8" x 1" x 20' is about $6 per stick etc...

Well I think I last paid about $2.98 for 16 foot lengths of 1/4" round. I just picked up about 40 feet (4' lengths) of rebar from the scrapper for $10. Rebar was new just short lengths I guess. Made a good contact at that scrappers he'll be ordering some hooks and such as he runs 3 vehicle crushers... his relatives also run a steelyard and his dad has an auto salvage just up the road. He was friendly and interesting! There are literally tons of good usable materials there of many sorts... lotsa very large leaf springs... too heavy for me to carry to the truck. BTW I do happen to like rebar for numerous projects... wherever mild steel is a bit weak or soft but high carbon would be too far to the other side of the scale. I'd much rather work a nice stick of rebar than a RR spike.

drops I get for 30 cents a pound. These are left overs from the companies that bought full 20-22 ft lengths, and resell the left over sections, so I get 4 to 9 ft bars, mostly new steel. 2.50 to 3 pound for new of same.
tool steels are double that. this of course is a guide for comparison only. this place even has bridge guard rails and trusses from old RR bridges

Yesterday I picked up 20' of 3/8" x 1" for $17 and 10' of 1/4" x 1 1/2" for $8.10 both hot rolled. It's pretty cool, most of the time I can trade shoeing for steel as the office lady is a client of mine. Not sure how that works come to think of it, but it works out great for me!

Sandusky Sales, Columbia Kentucky, 42728

$.25 per pound for misc scrap including sizeable pieces of plate and sheet, 12' bars of misc flat bar, channel, round, and square. Grade not specified!

$.30 per pound for misc scap tubing of various lengths.

Stock:
20 foot lengths unless specified as 12 feet.
Hot roled unless specified as cold roled. ("CR")

Round
1/8", 12', CR, $1.25
1/4", $3.45
3/8" $6.10
1/2" $6.55
5/8" $10.30
3/4" $14.70

Square
NA
1/4", 12', CR, $3.50
3/8" $5.00
1/2" $8.50
5/8" $13.30
3/4" $19.15

Flat bar

1/4x1/2" $7.20
1/4x3/4 $10.40
1/4x1 $9.20

That is my regular purchase list so I don't have other stock prices on hand.

drops I get for 30 cents a pound. These are left overs from the companies that bought full 20-22 ft lengths, and resell the left over sections, so I get 4 to 9 ft bars, mostly new steel. 2.50 to 3 pound for new of same.
tool steels are double that. this of course is a guide for comparison only. this place even has bridge guard rails and trusses from old RR bridges

Hey Steve,
Where do you get your steel? In the past I've gone to Decatur Salvage (that's where I got the base for my (now Mr. Custers) air hammer.) Most of the small stock I have I've gotten at C. Henry Surplus.

Mild steel I usually pay around $.30 per pound, high carbon and low alloy tool steels about $3.50 per pound, high alloy tool steels and stainless up to $15 per pound. But I have about 250 pounds of CPM T15 and CPM M4 that I paid $.50 per pound for. :lol:

last try for 15n20 from uderholm was £5.50 per kilo and min order of 600K so thats me shafted .
thats $3.91 per pound for steel I need. ( I use it as an element in all my blades)...they will not cut to size or even give a dimension , you get what they are rolling . the steel comes hardened so cant be cut in a saw...
I would be interested in what you are paying for 15n20 as sweden via Uk is no longer viable . It could easily be the case that sweden via USA then to UK would be a better prospect , which is ridiculous!!

last try for 15n20 from uderholm was £5.50 per kilo and min order of 600K so thats me shafted .
thats $3.91 per pound for steel I need. ( I use it as an element in all my blades)...they will not cut to size or even give a dimension , you get what they are rolling . the steel comes hardened so cant be cut in a saw...
I would be interested in what you are paying for 15n20 as sweden via Uk is no longer viable . It could easily be the case that sweden via USA then to UK would be a better prospect , which is ridiculous!!

Kelly Cupples is the guy to get 15n20 from here in the states. Good prices, and he'll shear it to whatever size you require. Don't know if he ships overseas though....

Dave if Im ever down that way Ill stock up! Your supplier is at least $.25 cents a pound cheaper than our local supplier..Our supplier is the only game in town and they know it..Im tempted to make the trip. Our supplier never stocks smaller square stock either..1/2" is all they ever have on hand :angry:

Dave if Im ever down that way Ill stock up! Your supplier is at least $.25 cents a pound cheaper than our local supplier..Our supplier is the only game in town and they know it..Im tempted to make the trip. Our supplier never stocks smaller square stock either..1/2" is all they ever have on hand :angry:

Drop me a note and maybe I can arrange to meet you up there....I only live 15 minutes away, and it helps if you know your way around the place.
Come early in the morning and spend an afternoon in my shop! :D

• 2 weeks later...