I Forge Iron

Picking a good quench barrel

Been on the lookout for a good barrel for quenching, something about the look and feel I like about the old barrels.

How much should one be paying around for one and how do you go about picking one out? I have two that have been offered to me but I cannot tell if they look good or not to be sufficient in holding water, any input would be great. Also how would you protect the wood from those wood eating bugs, just seal it with some type of sealant?

kbvq08.jpg

On the East Coast, those barrels go for $50 to $75. If you see one that looks reasonably tight near the ends without gaps greater than 1/16th of an inch or so away from the end (maybe even up to 1/8th gaps), it should work for you. If you get a half barrel and it will hold SOME water, just keep running water in it (let it leak). The wood will swell and it should stop leaking. Be sure to drive the hoops as tight as you can and pin them in place.

I take it you mean old wooden barrels. The price on those will vary according to where you live. I have metal barrels that I picked up for nothing. They are being thrown away at a manufacturing business near me and they said to take what I needed. There are also lots of barrels being sold in the area for $20.00. Plastic and metal barrels as well as 250 gallon tugs are being sold all over my area, but if you're looking for good wooden barrels they're hard to find in good shape at a low price.

I live not to far from several wineries, less than 100 miles. They have sold me 50 gallon barrels for around $35.00. If they had red wine in them it is easy to tell if they leak by the stains. If it leaks on one end thats ok to. Drive all the hoops as tight as you can with a short scrap flat bar and a heavy hand hammer, keep going over all the hoops till you can't get any of them any tighter. then drive the bung in good and tight. Next stand the barrel on end, good end down. Take a sawsall and cut barrel off above hoop that is above the bung. If you cut it off at the bung hole it will be to short to hold enough water for long bars.
Don't know any thing about wood eating bugs. Also a good idea to not let it set on the floor, put 2- 2x4 under it so the air can get under it. Fill it up with water and keep it full.

Chuck

I bought a half barrel at jack Daniels after going on the tour. Forty bucks I felt was a good deal, it still smells of whiskey and the logo on the side makes it cool to me. Someday I'm gonna get me a Makers Mark barrel of course after going on the tour and dipping my own bottle. Also anything can hold water if you put some time and caulking into it.

You generally don't have to worry about insects in these barrels. Once the wood has dried it isn't palatable to such bugs. Even when re-wetted (filled with water) some of what is left behind from holding the alcohol makes the barrel unpalatable to just about all insects. Mold and fungus may still grow, but that will take years to become a problem. It is a good idea to set it on something (I use a few bricks).
The important thing is that it still holds water.

ron

I have gotten a red wine barrel once. I filled and started to use it and after some time started to smell like sewer. Dumped it out and refilled it several times and it still smelt like sewer and I also would find large white worms floating some mornings also. I got another one which I think was a whiskey barrel because it was fire charred on the inside and had no problems with that one. In the spring our area Home Depot and Ace Hardware has them.

Some home supply places sell them for planters. I've hauled mine around to shows for 14 years. It started to rot a little on the bottom edge so I caulked it with silicone and a chunk of wood then painted linseed oil over it to help preserve it. I snug up the hoops every once in a while and try not to let it dry out between shows.

Around here a half of whisky or wine barrel sells for around $20. People use them for planters. Throw the barrel into a creek for a couple of days or run a hose in the barrel for a couple of days to swell the wood and make water tight.

NOTE: I have had new barrels stink after the water has been in the barrel for a few weeks. I pour a gallon of bleach into the barrel and problem solved. At times it takes a couple treatments of bleach to cure the problem. It seems after using the barrel for some time this problem goes away.

Is there a particular reason you must have a wooden barrel? 5 gallon plastic buckets ,or anything else with similar capacity that's watertight, will work just fine and can be had cheap or free -- unless you're concerned with the aesthetics or something.

Is there a particular reason you must have a wooden barrel? 5 gallon plastic buckets ,or anything else with similar capacity that's watertight, will work just fine and can be had cheap or free -- unless you're concerned with the aesthetics or something.

I use a wooden barrel half for the reenactments but a cut down plastic barrel for the shop. It has worked well for a lot of years. I drop a bucket deicer into it during the winter.

At one of our monthly meeting, I was watching the demo when I noticed that his quench tank was on a stand and he didn't bend over to quench, I'm guessing around 33". It also had a drain on the bottom side that a bucket would fit under for draining. It looked like it was made from SS from the food industry. If a screen was added to retrieve small lost parts, I think it would be ideal.

What I like best is a sheep tank. Got mine at the farm store. It's about 45 in" long 24 wide 12 in. deep
galv. steel holds about 45 gallons. what I like best is I can get a long piece in it or I can cool the end
I hold on to and let the hot end stick out over the other end. If I drop something in it's only about
8 or 10 inches deep. Mine sets on the floor but I may make a stand. floating tank heater in the winter
keeps it liquid. Cost $27 15 years ago I think about $60 now but will last a life time. Heater about $20.
May seem like a lot of money but no leaks or soaking, won't melt, no rust, no smell.

I have been using a plastic tank that holds salt for a water softener. It is tall and narrow enough to not take up too much room, but it holds plenty of water and is great for long objects. It sits on a small dolly with wheels if I need to roll it out of the way for whatever reason. It dose not look very authentic but was free and practical.

There is a potential problem with plastic. I've seen people drop something hot and burn a hole in the bottom, suddenly no more tub. So long as you don't burn a hole in the bottom they work fine.
Just a caution in case you hadn't thought of that.

ron

Huh. I dropped a big piece of orange hot leaf spring in a plastic slack bucket full of water, and didn't have any problem at all. Of course the steel was ruined. I figured the Leidenfrost effect saved the bucket.

• 2 years later...