I Forge Iron

square holes

I've seen on IFI as well as youtube, there are bits that can make square holes. Where can I find them? I've looked everywhere I can think of. I amnew to milling and lathes so I have no sources for end mills or boring bits, or any of those types of machinery tooling. I only have that which came with my smithy 3-1

Depending on what you are making you can get a broach, or do it with a standard HSS tool bit, if you can lock the spindle from turning. Basically you end up slotting the corners square out after starting with a round hole.

the bits I'm looking for have a triangular cross section except the sides are convex instead of straight, this thing cuts just off center so that only one corner is cutting, when it rotates and cuts it ends up cutting a square hole with slightly rounded corners.based on the reuleaux triangle.

I do not have a project in mind yet, I just think it would be awesome to be able to drill a square hole. I am just now starting to collect my machine tools

Call Watts Brothers Tool Works in Pennsylvania. They make bits for this. They don't have a website. http://www.macraesbluebook.com/search/company.cfm?company=335472 I don't know what prices are like, but I bet they're not cheap.

I also second the recommendation to look at Weygers.

the bits I'm looking for have a triangular cross section except the sides are convex instead of straight, this thing cuts just off center so that only one corner is cutting, when it rotates and cuts it ends up cutting a square hole with slightly rounded corners.based on the reuleaux triangle.

I do not have a project in mind yet, I just think it would be awesome to be able to drill a square hole. I am just now starting to collect my machine tools

In the UK they were branded items going under the name Poliangular drills, and worked by rattling around in a square guide and shaving out the corners as you went through the workpiece.

It is a development from a poorly ground drill bit being used on an unclamped workpiece, this produced a lobed hole, someone did this and had a Eureka moment.

I have made some money using Mr Weygers` techniques.You`d be surprised to see how many people there are out there who are willing to bet good money you can`t drill a square hole.
"A fool and his money are soon parted".

And: "A foot and his mouth are soon joined"!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...