I Forge Iron

Hanging basket bracket.

I am very interested in that texture myself! Did you forge weld the hook all the way along or just on the tip? It is a very unusual piece and very nice looking IMO! Probably most of us here could learn some things if you are willing to share some of your techniques with us. Very inspiring work!

Ratel10MM has it right. Started as a 4" wide strip, split, drawn and curved, brought round and arc welded at the back at the top.
The texturing was done hot with a sharp straight pein hammer - bit tedious but works.

To be honest it started out as a heart shape but evolved into an 'onion' - my designs are not fixed in stone, I go with the flow.

bigfootnampa - there is no forge welding in it. Which element were you asking about?

Ratel10MM has it right. Started as a 4" wide strip, split, drawn and curved, brought round and arc welded at the back at the top.
The texturing was done hot with a sharp straight pein hammer - bit tedious but works.

To be honest it started out as a heart shape but evolved into an 'onion' - my designs are not fixed in stone, I go with the flow.

bigfootnampa - there is no forge welding in it. Which element were you asking about?

I was asking about the hook itself... from which the basket will hang. It appears to be two bars, twisted in the center and I thought that you had forge welded them at the tip where the hook is formed?

Hi bigfootnampa - it was a piece of spare bar I had lying around. It comes from the suppliers with dimpled edges and a wavy line down the middle ( used by fabricators to make gates etc. look forged! :lol: ). I jumped up the end for tenoning and the hook was just forged out of the main bar.

Right on,Chalky!I REALLY like that,that's some honest work!

Can't say i care too much for texturing,it seems (to me)to take away from that "heirloom" sort of quality about the whole bracket.But i'm a weirdo,nothing looks better to me than forged texture.

I'm afraid to ask just whatis that dread "Dobie's",suppose it be be some heinous chain-store type thing, over your way.

Great work,thanks!