I Forge Iron

Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths

I have a document in Adobe titled "Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths & Others who Heat Treat and Forge Steel", 200 + pages, By John D. Verhoeven Emeritus Professor, Iowa State University, March 2005. While it is extremely technical in nature, there are summaries of all the important points at the end of each chapter that are easy to understand and very clear and concise. It will help dispell some of the myths and alchemy associated with Knifemaking in particular and forging and heat treating steel in general. Also have an Adobe document "Experiments on Knife Sharpening", 55 + pages, September 2004 by the same author. If anyone is interested, please email me and I will send you a copy of one or both.

Woody

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jens: I just came back in to post the link I found it too. I see he also has some articles on damascus blades, but they are published in a scientific magazine and you have to buy the book. Bet they would be interesting too.

Woody

This was quite a help for me to understand quite a bit more about metal. I have only picked out specific areas as the document is so large, there's a wealth of info in this. After seeing the chart on page 50, and talking to my instructor, a light kinda flipped on and I realized the 2nd 2 numbers are the carbon content in steel.

The explaination of how the first 2 digits change depending on the alloy was also helpful.

Yeah, I'm a bit green on metal, and even more reason I appreciate passing this on to the IFI folks.

There's a lot of info in that doc. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Lorenco: Check page 1 of this thread for a reply by Oakwoodforge, there is a link listed there where you can download the material directly

Woody

I just tried to download it and I'm getting a 404 error.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

the pdf has been archived as of May 2006
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://mse.iastate.edu/files/verhoeven/7-5.pdf

You can right-click and choose 'Save As...' for IE 7.

and if you use firefox you can right click on any dead link with this extension and check 6 different caches including the waybackmachine at the internet archive ;)

thank you Woody and oakwoodforge ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...