I Forge Iron

Proposal to create a new topic forum

arftist

Whatever my political differences with Robert, he certainly asks good blacksmithing questions, and starts a lot of topics. Additionaly he is a prolific poster, posting about twice as often per day as I do.

There have been topics in the past which would have been good fodder for further commentary. I know some of the limits, I have had posts simply disapear. I spend half of my leisure time here and half on a wood burner's forum. On the wood forum we have a section called "the ash can" It is not visible to non-members.

Threads are sometimes moved there if they get too heated, off-topic, or political.

We have a lot of fun in the ash can, and lots of members seldon if ever go there, but the are a good amount of regulars too. Now and then we even see some validity in the other guys posts too. The ash can is not searchable and is emptied now and then.

Blacksmiths are passionate opinionated people. We have a lot to say about ALL aspects of what affects us.

What say you?

Thank you for your suggestions. They are being taken under consideration as are all suggestions to improve the site.

IForgeIron is about blacksmithing. We have visitors from over 50 world wide countries each month, and for that reason try to stay away from discussions on religion and politics. US politicsare less than 1/50 th of the interest of IForgeIron viewers as each viewer has political interest in each of their countries. You certainly would not go to a political venue to discuss blacksmithing. Politics is best discussed on another venue, not a blacksmithing site.

As to a private or members only area of IForgeIron where the guide lines of the IForgeIron site do not apply , , , ? We already have a section called everything else for off topic discussions. We have always had discussions available to all who visit the site. The guide lines apply to all, and apply equally to all.

Thank you for presenting your suggestion. I will give it consideration and see if it could be used to improve the site.

Whatever my political differences with Robert, he certainly asks good blacksmithing questions, and starts a lot of topics. Additionaly he is a prolific poster, posting about twice as often per day as I do.

There have been topics in the past which would have been good fodder for further commentary. I know some of the limits, I have had posts simply disapear. I spend half of my leisure time here and half on a wood burner's forum. On the wood forum we have a section called "the ash can" It is not visible to non-members.

Threads are sometimes moved there if they get too heated, off-topic, or political.

We have a lot of fun in the ash can, and lots of members seldon if ever go there, but the are a good amount of regulars too. Now and then we even see some validity in the other guys posts too. The ash can is not searchable and is emptied now and then.

Blacksmiths are passionate opinionated people. We have a lot to say about ALL aspects of what affects us.

What say you?

I say it is a great idea.

I'm not sure about a "no rules" area, but a specific area that is open to more potentially heated discussions that may stray from the metalworking aspects of blacksmithing probably would be good. Yes, members only. I am sure the software can do age restricted to keep it adults only as well (yea, many people would need to ENTER their age then)

Phil

Maybe if thing get going in a political direction then someone could post a ling or something to go to a political forum somewhere else? At that point the conversation is no longer blacksmithing and probably should be moved offsite anyway. FWIW.
Rob

I think there are many topics which are both political and directly related to blacksmithing/metalworking.

Yes, I agree. My favorite political blacksmithing topic is when the San Francisco Chronicle ran an article about that gasoline tanker fire that softened the overpass girders causing them to collapse. The article was subtitled "Blacksmiths Exonerated", since after the collapse of the WTC towers in NY, we were considered kooky when we said that fires fueled by ordinary hydrocarbons could soften steel. It is easy to offend visitors at a demo by talking about this :rolleyes: . I guess anything can be politicized these days.

I try to avoid political discussions here -- with one major lapse back in September -- simply because I think it interferes with the exchange of information on topics about which we share a passion. If I want heated political debate, I know where to find it; for me, this place serves as kind of a refuge from all that.

I also think there's a lot to be said for the value of having friendly discussions about apolitical topics, with people with whom you have significant political disagreements. It helps to remind everyone that even the people on The Other Side (whichsever side that may be) are mostly just regular folks very much like us, not the Spawn of Satan. I think that's a very healthy thing for everyone to be reminded of from time to time. If we open up a political forum, I do fear that even though the explicitly political debates may be limited to that forum, those debates may have lingering effects on how we relate to one another elsewhere on the board.

That said, no one would be forced to participate in any political forum if they didn't want to do so. Participation would be a matter of personal choice, and more freedom of choice is usually a good thing.

Arftist, I agree did you read my last post on the nail factory? I was just saying here that instead of making a new area which I do not think Glenn wants to do just link elsewhere. Many times politics can be interwoven with blacksmithing business.
Rob

Is there a neutral political site somewhere? I would like to know of it.

If Glen doesn't want it, we will not get it and it will be for the best, as he created this.

I try to avoid political discussions here -- with one major lapse back in September -- simply because I think it interferes with the exchange of information on topics about which we share a passion. If I want heated political debate, I know where to find it; for me, this place serves as kind of a refuge from all that.

I also think there's a lot to be said for the value of having friendly discussions about apolitical topics, with people with whom you have significant political disagreements. It helps to remind everyone that even the people on The Other Side (whichsever side that may be) are mostly just regular folks very much like us, not the Spawn of Satan. I think that's a very healthy thing for everyone to be reminded of from time to time. If we open up a political forum, I do fear that even though the explicitly political debates may be limited to that forum, those debates may have lingering effects on how we relate to one another elsewhere on the board.

That said, no one would be forced to participate in any political forum if they didn't want to do so. Participation would be a matter of personal choice, and more freedom of choice is usually a good thing.

Thanks Matt. Good points. From my veiwpoint, I know I am not well liked. I am too honest to be liked by everyone, been that way my whole life.

I come here to record for posterity what I have learned from the school of hard knocks. I often say things that are obvious to the experienced guys, but may help newcomers. Hopefully now and then I contribute a pearl. Thanks again.

My for what it's worth thoughts. Political discussion has destroyed the value of several old web-sites, E-mail lists and a couple fora I used to be pretty active on.

So, my suggestion is: Yahoogroups is really easy to set up a Fora on and it can be virtually anything you want. Your site, your rules or lack thereof. Post a link here, maybe in your signoff and any who wish can visit and talk all the politics, religion, or whatever you want. There are other sites out there you can set up a forum on too, Google is probably one though I don't know.

Frosty the Lucky

My for what it's worth thoughts. Political discussion has destroyed the value of several old web-sites, E-mail lists and a couple fora I used to be pretty active on.

So, my suggestion is: Yahoogroups is really easy to set up a Fora on and it can be virtually anything you want. Your site, your rules or lack thereof. Post a link here, maybe in your signoff and any who wish can visit and talk all the politics, religion, or whatever you want. There are other sites out there you can set up a forum on too, Google is probably one though I don't know.

Frosty the Lucky

I agree completely. Thanks for being the voice of reason. I am ready to let it go.

IForgeIron was set up as a blacksmithing forum, a family forum, a comfortable place where you can invite your spouse, your children, and your grand children to be with you when you visit the site. It is controversial at times, but the metal working technique can be proven at the forge. Metal may not cooperate, your skill set may not be as advanced as others, but if you ask for assistance , whether your 6 or 60, help is provided. We want you to succeed, have fun, and enjoy the craft as much as we do.

Blacksmiths are opinionated and for over 9 years we have put our opinions aside so we can discuss blacksmithing. We continue to grow and now have over 15,000 members from over 50 world wide countries. We ARE an international group that has no physical or political borders.

Adding highly controversial topics, of local or short term interest, which are unrelated to blacksmithing would be of no benefit the site now, in 6 months, or even a year from now.